Guest MINDSETTER™ Steven Artigas: Open Letter to Gordon Fox
Monday, May 13, 2013
Your years-long effort to legalize same-sex marriage in Rhode Island has produced the result you sought. This outcome is a strong testament to the power of the office you hold, as well as your ability to navigate the adverse currents of opinion on an issue that has long divided our state.
I ask that you now apply that power and that talent to banish the scourge of the master lever from Rhode Island politics. The problems with this checkoff have been graphically demonstrated. As you know, there is a long and growing list of prominent Rhode Islanders of every stripe who want to see this happen. There is no question that good government demands it. It seems the only objectors are those General Assembly members who fear losing their seats should the master lever be abolished.
It is clear that you and you alone hold the lifeline for this issue. In the interest of fairness, please resurrect this bill for a vote in the House of Representatives, and use your considerable powers of persuasion to help get it enacted into law. Rhode Island is counting on you.
Steven Artigas is a lifelong Westerly resident.
- Taylor Praises Mollis for Change of Position on Master Lever
- Will RI Kill the Master Lever?
- NEW: Speaker Fox Comes Out in Favor of the Master Lever
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Steven Artigas: Time to Disable the Cellphones
- Dan Lawlor: Magicians of the Master Lever
- Don Roach: Is The Master Lever So Bad?
- Ken Block: The Master Lever Challenge to RI Legislators
- NEW: Ken Block Says Master Lever May Have Helped Fox Avoid Defeat
- RI Taxpayers Urges Passage of Bill to Eliminate Master Lever