Gemma Criticizes Schilling Deal
Thursday, July 29, 2010
“I am dismayed by the Curt Schilling deal. I believe that that $75 million could have helped more businesses,” Gemma said, during a press conference in which he discussed his plans for Social Security. “Every politician comes up to the microphone and talks about small business as the backbone of our state and yet they have helped another possible big business at the risk of taxpayers.”
Gemma, the former president of Gem Plumbing and Heating, said the money could have been better used if it was spread out among businesses. “I assure you that if you were to come up to many small companies and give them small deals, incrementally, you could have probably created one or two or three thousand jobs in Rhode Island,” Gemma said.
Schilling, on the other hand, is expected to create a total of 450 new jobs in Rhode Island over a three-year period, according to the EDC.
- Breaking News: Block Opposes Schilling Deal
- Candidates Balk at $75 Million for Curt Schilling
- Playing Hardball: Mass. Tries to Keep Schilling Company
- RI Economic Development Corporation: $75 million for Schilling
- Rhode Island set to sign Schilling to a deal?
- Schilling Deal Could Threaten RI Film and TV Industry