Does Sports Illustrated Know RI Is in New England?
Friday, February 02, 2018
When GoLocal learned of the mistake from outraged fans, multiple emails and calls were placed into Sports Illustrated to get an explanation.
A public relations spokesperson for Sports Illustrated finally confirmed the error late Thursday with GoLocal -- and said that they do, in fact, know Rhode Island is in New England.
"So for the Super Bowl preview issue, Nick Foles is the national cover, and the majority of the country got it, with the exception of the New England area [who got Brady]," said the representative -- who acknowledged that did not include Rhode Island.
"What I learned is there was a production error. It was intended to go to the whole New England area. It wasn’t that we forgot Rhode Island was part of New England. I've never seen an error like this in my time," said the representative. "What you might have heard from customers, that sounds about right from what I'd heard from customer service."
Dealing with Unhappy Pats Fans
At least one customer said that they were not satisfied when they called SI, however.
"So I received my Sports Illustrated with my 'regional cover' today," Terry Moreno Toste emailed GoLocal. "Last I checked Pennsylvania is not my region, for Rhode Island is a state in New England."
"I called Sports Illustrated and they told me the only states that are receiving the Patriots covers are Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Massachusetts, and Connecticut," said Toste. "She told me that came from corporate and there was nothing she could do about it and she could not send me the Patriots one because Rhode Island is not on the list!!! Really, Sports Illustrated??? Get it together!!"
The representative acknowledged that SI is working to correct the mistake.
"We apologize for it, it’s an honest mistake. Anyone who contacts us from Rhode Island trying get the Brady cover, we've been working to make sure the customer gets whatever they want. That has been happening already," said the rep.
The customer service hotline is 1-877-747-1045.
"Whenever we do this — have a national and regional issue -- the content is all the same," added the representative. "We do put all of this online, and you can find both covers online. Again, the Nick Foles was the national one. We don’t always do a regional cover."
"I just want people to know of course that if New England wins this weekend we do put the winning team on our special, bigger commemorative issue."
- Patriots Respond to ESPN Story Claiming “Dysfunction” in the Organization
- Patriots Cruise Past Jets 26-6, Lock up #1 Seed in AFC
- What to Watch For: Jets vs Patriots
- Patriots Sign Former Steelers Linebacker Harrison
- Patriots to Host Titans in Divisional Round Playoff Game on Saturday
- What to Watch For: Titans vs Patriots - 2018 AFC Divisional Playoffs
- Patriots to Face Eagles in Super Bowl 52
- NEW: Patriots Advance to Super Bowl, Beat Jacksonville 24-20 in AFC Championship
- What to Watch For: Jaguars vs Patriots - 2018 AFC Championship
- Patriots Roll Titans 35-14, Advance to 7th Straight AFC Championship
- Patriots Overcome Slow Start to Beat Bills 37-16 on Christmas Eve
- Patriots Beat Dolphins 35-17 for 7th Straight Win