NEW: Same-Sex Marriage Approved by House Judiciary Committee
Tuesday, January 22, 2013
With 11 ‘yes’ votes and two absentees, the House Judiciary Committee easily approved sending a bill by Representative Arthur Handy to legalize same-sex marriage in Rhode Island to the floor of the House of Representatives for a full vote.
The move was an expected but historic one as the topic has never been brought to the floor of the House before.
The bill is expected to pass the House but faces a key test with the Senate Judiciary Committee. It may be voted on as early as Thursday.
Voting ‘yes’ on the bill in the committee were Representatives Edith Ajello, John DeSimone, Peter Martin, Joseph Almeida, Christopher Blazejewski, Doreen Costa, Robert Craven, Donald Lally, Michael Marcello, Patrick O`Neill, and Joseph Shekarchi.
Abstaining from the vote were Representatives Donna Walsh and Charlene Lima.
- Don Roach: Gay marriage debate at the tipping point
- Gay Marriage Bill Introduced in Rhode Island
- Marriage Equality RI Director Ray Sullivan: 13 To Watch in RI in 2013
- Mixed Reaction on Chafee’s Same-Sex Marriage Executive Order
- NEW: Cicilline Applauds Decision Ruling Defense of Marriage Act Unconstitutional
- NEW: House of Representatives Will Hear Gay Marriage Bill Tuesday
- BREAKING: Chafee Signs Executive Order Recognizing Out-of-State Gay Marriages
- NEW: Marriage Equality Group Endorses 19 Candidates
- Dan Lawlor: Marriage Equality Supporters Must Step their Game Up
- NEW: Religious Leaders Rally to Oppose Same Sex Marriage