Central Falls Parents Plan Rally for Schools
Wednesday, June 08, 2011
Lisa Nass, one of the organizers, told GoLocalProv that parents are upset over high teacher absences and turnover. She said teachers have been “banned” from disciplining students. As a result, she said student behavior is out of control. And she said the school climate has become increasingly negative: students don’t want to go to school anymore, she said, because the teachers aren’t motived to be there.
She said the relationship between teachers and students has suffered the most—an all the more unfortunate situation, she noted, given the number of students that don’t have stable home settings. “They’re not building bonds with the teachers anymore—they’re not there long enough,” said Nass, whose two sons attend the middle and high schools.
Nass laid most of the blame on the current administration, which she said was so bent on reform that it had made things worse in Central Falls. “It was fine. They changed and changed and changed—to the benefit of whom? It’s not helping the kids,” she said. “They tampered with something that wasn’t broken and now it’s broken.”
She said parents are also “insulted” by a series of recent news stories on violence and discipline issues in the schools. “We want our schools and our kids to be more respected,” she said.
The rally is 6 p.m. today at the Higginson Avenue ball field in Central Falls.
Organizers are hoping for a turnout of 200 parents for the event.
If you valued this article, please LIKE GoLocalProv.com on Facebook by clicking HERE.
- A LIVELY EXPERIMENT May 19, 2011 Central Falls Schools
- AG Candidate Little Tied to Central Falls Mayor
- BREAKING NEWS: Central Falls Teachers Say It’s a Deal
- BREAKING NEWS: Central Falls Union Votes No Confidence in Gallo
- BREAKING NEWS: Chafee to Keep Central Falls Receive for One More Month
- BREAKING NEWS: Gist - Central Falls Teachers, Administration Reach a Deal
- BREAKING NEWS: Gist Speaks Out on Central Falls School District
- BREAKING NEWS: State Senator Calls for Central Falls Superintendent to Resign
- Central Falls & Pawtucket Merger: How Would It Affect RI?
- Central Falls Blocks School Principal from Working
- Central Falls Broke, Judge Names Receiver
- Central Falls Coverup - Students Not Properly Immunized
- Central Falls Principal Takes School District to Court
- Central Falls Receiver Appoints His Own Council
- Central Falls School District Get $1.3 Million Grant
- Central Falls Teacher: Why I Resigned
- Central Falls Teachers Vote No Confidence in Gallo
- Central Falls Teachers: Don’t Blame Us
- Central Falls-Pawtucket Merger: Residents Speak Out
- Councilman Calls for Central Falls Mayor to Resign
- Critics: Central Falls Receiver Sets ‘Dangerous Precedent’
- EDITORIAL: Central Falls - Let’s Merge It
- EXCLUSIVE: Central Falls School ‘Whistleblower’ Punished
- EXCLUSIVE: Felon Serving on Central Falls School Board
- EXCLUSIVE: Fired Providence Teacher Hired in Central Falls
- GAME ON: Playoff Boy’s Basketball Central Falls vs Tolman
- Gallo—Teachers Blocking Transformation of Central Falls High
- Gist: Reform at Central Falls Now Can Move at ‘Light Speed’
- Gist—State Will Review Criminal Record of Central Falls Trustee
- GoLocalProv Uncovers ‘Pay to Play’ in Central Falls
- Is It Time to Abolish the City of Central Falls?
- NEW: Central Falls Receiver: Merge City with Pawtucket
- NEW: Central Falls School Board Chair Defends Superintendent
- NEW: Central Falls Superintendent Speaks Out on Teacher Assault
- NEW: Central Falls – No Explanation for MIA Administrators
- NEW: Chafee—‘Running out of Time’ to Fix Central Falls Budget
- NEW: Community Groups Support Central Falls Superintendent
- NEW: Gist to Hold Community Forum in Central Falls This Week
- Over 100 Central Falls Teachers Face Layoffs
- Senator Calls for Forensic Audit of Central Falls Schools
- Should Central Falls Be Merged?
- Should Central Falls be merged?
- Three Central Falls School Administrators Missing in Action
- UPDATED: Chafee, General Assembly Leaders Weigh in on Central Falls
- UPDATED: Flanders Leaves Board of Regents to be Central Falls Receiver
- Violence on the Rise at Central Falls Schools
Enjoy this post? Share it with others.
Commenting is not available in this channel entry.