Common Cause’s Marion Discusses Magistrate Reform, Redistricting & Early Voting
Thursday, February 08, 2018
From supporting increased early voting -- which Marion said would be similar in timeframe to mail ballot process, but provide more oversight -- to advocating for a more public and transparent process in the upcoming redistricting taking place following the 2020 census, Marion spoke with GoLocal News Editor Kate Nagle about what he expects could be achieved this General Assembly session -- and what the public should know.
Related Slideshow: GoLocal: Benchmark Poll, October 2017
Next year, in November of 2018, there will be a statewide general election for Governor and many other state offices. How likely is it that you will vote in this election?
Will you definitely be voting, will you probably be voting, are you 50-50...
Definitely be voting: 78%
Probably be voting: 13%
What would you say is the number one problem facing Rhode Island that you would like the Governor to address?
Jobs and economy: 21%
State budget: 9%
Corruption/Public integrity: .8%
Don’t know: .9%
Recently, a proposal has been made to permit the issuance of $81 million in bonds by the State to build a new stadium for the Pawtucket Red Sox. If there was an election today on this issue, would you vote to approve or reject issuing $81 million in financing supported moral obligation bonds to build the stadium?
Net: Approve: 28%
Definitely approve: 15%
Probably approve: 14%
Net: Reject: 67%
Probably reject: 19%
Definitely reject: 48%
Don't know: 4%
The next question is about the total income of YOUR HOUSEHOLD for the PAST 12 MONTHS. Please include your income PLUS the income of all members living in your household (including cohabiting partners and armed forces members living at home).
$50,000 or less: 27%
More $50,000 but less than $75,000: 13%
More $75,000 but less than $100,000: 13%
More $100,000 but less than $150,000: 17%
$150,000 or more: 13%
Don't know/refused: 17%
What particular ethnic group or nationality - such as English, French, Italian, Irish, Latino, Jewish, African American, and so forth - do you consider yourself a part of or feel closest to?
Black or African American: 6%
- LIVE: Director Whitney White on “Othello” at Trinity Rep
- LIVE: Dave Kane on Remembering Lessons Learned at 15th Anniversary of Station Nightclub Fire
- LIVE: Amazon, Berkshire Hathaway, JPMorgan Healthcare Shakeup: “Nonprofit” is Key, Says Fine
- Wednesday on LIVE: MasterChef Winner Behm-Lazzarini & RI’s Dryvit’s Murphy
- LIVE: Trillo on Trump’s State of the Union—& Surrogate Mark Burns in RI on Friday
- LIVE: New Youth Event Added For Annual Langston Hughes Poetry Reading
- LIVE: Providence Based Hardcore Band, Kilgore, Releases First EP in 20 Years
- LIVE: NASA’s Arcand On The Super Blue Blood Moon & Exoplanets
- LIVE: Women’s Fund of RI Is Fighting For Fair Pay and $15 Minimum Wage
- LIVE: USA Bobsledder & Brown Grad Weinstock Talks 2018 Olympic Journey
- Tuesday on LIVE: Berndt of Kilgore and Professor Lawless
- LIVE: Dryvit CEO Murphy on Working on Super Bowl Venue - & Opportunities in RI
- LIVE: Independent Pharmacist Bucks Big Chains to Open Matt’s Local Pharmacy
- Monday on LIVE: RDW’s Bellini, Newport Vineyards, & Business Monday
- LIVE: RI’s Paddington Competes in Puppy Bowl, EGAPL Hosts Viewing Party Event
- LIVE: RI Children’s Author Writes Books In Memory Of Pet, Proceeds Help Shelter Dogs
- LIVE: Humor & Celebrity Spots Win Super Bowl Ads For 2018
- LIVE: Improving Your Wine Knowledge With Killavey of Newport Vineyards
- LIVE: Comic Cunningham On Creating Patriots Parody Video “Amen-Dola”
- LIVE: Loiselle Of FRIENDS WAY Talks About Self-Care While Grieving
- Thursday on LIVE: Writer Gilsdorf & RI Young Democrats President Beauregard
- LIVE: 14 Deaths, 532 Hospitalizations From Flu This Season So Far, Says RI Dept. of Health
- LIVE: 8 Things To Do When Packing For Vacation
- LIVE: Writer Gilsdorf On Memoirs and Achieving Your Writing Goals in 2018
- Tuesday on LIVE: “CHEFS” Director Hart And RI Common Cause’s Marion