slides: YWCA Announces 2017 Women of Achievement Honorees
Friday, September 15, 2017
See the Honorees in the Slideshow Below
“This year's recipients are a diverse group including a humanitarian, public service director, scientist, educators, nonprofit leaders, and an organization that links members with youth to provide gifts and clothing during the holiday season,” said the YWCA in their press release.
The National Education Association Rhode Island - Children’s Fund Gingerbread Express will receive the Organization of the Year Award.
The luncheon will take place on Tuesday, November 14 from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at Kirkbrae Country Club in Lincoln.
The public is invited to attend. Tickets are $55 per person or reserve a table of 10 for $550.
YWCA’s Women of Achievement
Since 2005, YWCA has sponsored this statewide recognition of women whose accomplishments span the fields of industry, culture and public service.
For more information, click here.
See the Honorees in the Slideshow Below
Related Slideshow: 2017 Women of Achievement Honorees
Martínez is the founder and project director of Rhode Island Latino Arts.
She has taught elementary and middle school and has lectured at local libraries, schools and museums (including the Providence Children’s Museum and the RISD Museum).
In 2015, she published a book entitled Rhode Island Latino History and is available for book talks or lectures on the book.
McCloud helped leads the NAACP Providence Youth Council.
In 2015, she was awarded the Providence NAACP Rosa Parks Award. She received the National Association of Secretaries of State Medalion Award given to recognize outstanding public service and civic engagement.
PHOTO: Lincoln School
Torell is the director of International Coastal Programs, Evaluation, Livelihoods, and Gender at the University of Rhode Island Coastal Resource Center.
She has over 15 years of experience providing technical assistance and leading complex and interdisciplinary projects in East Africa and South East Asia.
Henrietta Tonia White-Holder
White-Holder is the founder and CEO of Higher Ground International, which works to improve lives in the rural villages of West Africa and the West African community in Providence.
In 2015, White-Holder opened the Rukiya (the swahili word for “rising up/progress”) center on the south side of Providence. The Rukiya center was the first venue of its kind in Providence to offer intergenerational programs, women, and youth empowerment programs.
PHOTO: Higher Ground International
Womack is the founder and executive director of the Alliance of Rhode Island Southeast Asians for Education.
The organization's mission is to prepare, promote, and empower Rhode Island’s Southeast Asian students for educational and career success.
She previously was a supervisor for the College Crusade of Rhode Island.
- YWCA Rhode Island Names 2013 Women of Achievement
- YWCA RI Names 2012 Women of Achievement
- YWCA Rhode Island Announces 10th Annual Women of Achievement Honorees
- YWCA Rhode Island Announces 11th Annual Women of Achievement Honorees
- YWCA to Hold 12th Annual Women of Achievement Awards Luncheon Sept. 27
- YWCA to Hold 11th Annual Women of Achievement Awards Luncheon Sept. 29
- YWCA of RI Seeking Nominations for 2017 Women of Achievement Awards
- YWCA’s Race Against Racism 5K Returns Oct. 7
- Sneak Peek: YWCA’s Documentary on RI Women in Politics
- YWCA Celebrates 5th Annual Women Holding Office Awards
- NEW: Claudine Schneider Returns to RI for YWCA Honor
- YWCA to Celebrate National Girls & Women in Sports Day
- YWCA To Honor 8 RI Women Politicians
- Top Women Pols are Honored by YWCA Northern RI
- PowerPlayer: The YWCA’s Meghan Grady
- YWCA Rhode Island Launches ‘She Shines’ Radio Program
- Girls to Design Phone Apps for YWCA Fantastic Girltastic Code Company Challenge
- YWCA RI to Host 7th Annual Women Holding Office Celebration
- Jazz Legend Greg Abate to Play in New Bedford for YWCA Benefit
- TONIGHT: YWCA RI to Host 6th Annual Women Holding Office Celebration
- YWCA RI to Host 8th Annual Women Holding Office Celebration