slides: RI Artist Crenca Takes On 2nd Phase Revolving Art Project on Weybosset Building Facade
Wednesday, September 06, 2017
Umberto Crenca has begun work on the second installation of the revolving art project titled INFLUX on the facade of the former bank building on Weybosset Street.
See His Work in the Slideshow Below
The first artist installation on the facade was by Philippe Lejeune. He painted trees using materials like coffee and water to create a series of trees on plywood that was installed to cover up the windows on the historic Facade located at 27 Weybosset St in downtown Providence.
Prior to the art project which began in April of 2016, the site had recently been taken over by the homeless who were living in the facade.
As GoLocalProv reported about the emerging problems in Providence's Financial District in the Weybosset Street Facade, "It was once the location of a historic bank building that was torn-down in the early 2000’s to make way for a gleaming condo-hotel tower. Now, a little more than a decade later what was to be a $90 million development is now home to a group homeless squatters, right in the center of Providence’s Financial District."
The art project is being sponsored by former Providence Mayor Joseph Paolino and The Avenue Concept.
“I want to make a statement that ART should become part of the fabric of our community. Although this building should never have been torn Down, the facade does not accomplish anything that will enhance downtown. Hopefully with creating an amazing series of art (installations),” Paolino told GoLocalProv about his efforts to promote art in Providence.
See the Slides Below
Related Slideshow: Artist Umberto Crenca’s Weybossett Street Art Installation
- NEW: City Announces Plan to Save Historic Facade
- Homeless Take Over Former Bank Facade on Weybosset St. in Providence’s Financial Dist
- Revolving Art Installation to Transform Weybosset Building Facade
- GoLocalTV: Public Art Transforms Weybosset Building Facade
- Artist Umberto Crenca Opens Pop-Up Exhibit in Downtown Providence
- Picture of the Week: Umberto Crenca
- RI Artist Crenca Takes On 2nd Phase Revolving Art Project on Weybosset Building Facade