Carol Costa: Happy Halloween! Time to Count our Tricks and Treats
Thursday, October 31, 2013
So, as I wish everyone a safe and fulfilled Halloween, the time has come to dump out the political trick or treat bag. I knocked on some doors dressed like kicking mule (of course), and took home some interesting stuff…Hmm what do we have here?
What’s in the bag?
Ken Block threw in some old moderate party swag and Nutter Butter cookies. He has recently traded his 3rd party for an elephant. With his donation to the Halloween sack, we now have on tap a potential knock-down drag-out GOP Primary. It is so much fun going through this bag…
Wow, Secretary Sebelius tossed in a ton of unused beta testing. Interestingly, it came with some Maple Leaf candy.
Really? Rand Paul threw in Ted Cruz. But, it was worth it, as Cruz had his copy of Green Eggs and Ham, that I can now use.
The good stuff
It had to be Anna Cano-Morales, chairwoman of the Central Falls School Board of Trustees who pitched in increased graduation rates. Sweet!
No doubt, John Hazen White flung in the draft of a revamped tax system. Kind of like the neighbor who gave out the apples. I hope he gave the same thing to the General Assembly; they should chew on that for a bit.
Oh look! This could be my favorite; a worn, torn, and tattered copy of The Reagan Diaries and a huge jar of jelly beans! Hmm...had to be Travis! Rowley mind candy; turns out to be a really nice combo, in small doses.
But, as I dig to the bottom, I am hoping to find a world championship for the Boston Red Sox (I write this right before Game 6). I, like so many folks from around these parts, have rooted hard for this group of bearded, burly ball players. Their collective support of Boston in the wake of the Marathon bombings was inspirational and uplifting. I so love a bag filled with goodies—come on, admit it, you do too.
All kidding aside, this time of year brings with it a plethora of political announcements, posturing, fundraising, and verbal barbs shot across the fence line. And like a Halloween treat bag, the political arena is diverse; it can be sour and sweet. The task of sorting it out can and should be engaging. You know as well as I, the campaigns will begin in earnest very soon. Before long we will be bombarded with ads, phone calls, polls, surveys, door knocks, and on and on and on. My prescription for Halloween politics is simple; put aside the pundits, the news, and the talk. Drink in the fun, have a sugary time with the kids, be safe, be happy and indulge. Before we know it the sweet taste of candy will quickly become a little more bitter with every drooping poll number and every attack ad as the battles begin. For tonight, break out the candy corn, tell a real ghost story, swipe some candy from the kids and enjoy the spirit of Halloween. The ghoulish politics will proceed all too soon.
- Carol Anne Costa: American Politics Needs Women More Than Ever
- Carol Anne Costa: Baseball, Blowhards and Baloney
- Carol Anne Costa: Bigger Fish To Fry With RI Business Reforms
- Carol Anne Costa: Boston, Oklahoma City, & Remembering Baylee
- Carol Anne Costa: Fables, Foibles and Fools: Can DC Be Fixed?
- Carol Anne Costa: Let Baby Messiah Keep His Name
- Carol Anne Costa: Malala Keeps Her Eye on the Real Prize
- Carol Anne Costa: Money, Guns + Lawmakers
- Carol Anne Costa: Nina Davuluri: Beauty and the Beasts
- Carol Anne Costa: Political Redemption, Rhode Island-Style
- Carol Anne Costa: RI Budget—What Would Tony Soprano Do?
- Carol Anne Costa: Race + Justice Collide Again in America’s Courts
- Carol Anne Costa: Raimondo Steps Up For Crime Victims
- Carol Anne Costa: Rhode Island’s Veterans On The Edge
- Carol Anne Costa: Syrian Crisis Makes Strange Bedfellows
- Carol Anne Costa: Telling The Truth About The Navy Yard Shootings
- Carol Anne Costa: The IRS Spends While We Cut
- Carol Anne Costa: Title IX, Tennis + The Power Of Women
- Carol Anne Costa: Voice of Democracy, VFW’s Homerun
- Carol Anne Costa: What Politicians Can Learn From the Pope
- Carol Anne Costa: Whitehouse—Country, Carbon, Climate + Mercy