NEW: RI Blue Cross & Blue Shield Launches Bundle Payment Program
Monday, October 07, 2013
Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Rhode Island (BCBSRI) has announced it will collaborate with South County Hospital and South County Orthopedics & Physical Therapy on a new initiative that recognizes and rewards quality outcomes and patient experience in knee and hip replacements. Called a “bundled payment model,” it is designed to coordinate all aspects of a patient’s care, including surgery, primary care, radiology, hospital services, pharmacy and physical therapy.
The Perfect Partnership
“We are excited to announce this innovative partnership and payment arrangement, which is a prime example of the broader changes that BCBSRI and our provider partners are working toward each day,” said Peter Andruszkiewicz, president and CEO for BCBSRI. “Providers like South County are creating care models that address fragmentation and benefit from new financial incentives where all providers – physician, hospital, radiology, physical therapy and others – are working with a patient’s primary care physician to manage the patient experience and cost for a total, end-to-end care experience.”
“South County Hospital and its clinicians see the value of treating our patients in a way that considers their entire care experience,” said Lou Giancola, President of South County Hospital. “We are pleased that our quality is being recognized this way by Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Rhode Island, and to be at the forefront of participating in this innovative model of care that is based on patient outcome.”
“Being at the forefront of orthopedic and sports medicine in Rhode Island means thinking differently about how that care is provided,” said Robert Marchand, MD, President of South County Orthopedics. “The bundled payment initiative ensures the coordinated approach we believe patients deserve, from the very first appointment through recovery.”
The new bundled payment and coordinated care model became available on October 1, 2013 for all BCBSRI members who receive knee and hip replacements at South County Hospital.
Bundle Payment Model
The bundled payment model is becoming more prominent in the healthcare industry and is viewed as an effective way to improve quality while controlling costs, particularly with joint replacement procedures. By providing incentives for quality outcomes and efficient use of healthcare dollars, this approach is intended to lower the overall cost of care and support more collaboration among providers.
- Blue Cross & Blue Shield RI Names New President
- NEW: Blue Cross Blue Shield RI Launches Healthcare Education Campaign
- Blue Cross + Blue Shield RI’s Statewide Community Day of Service
- NEW: Blue Cross Blue Shield RI Launches Incentive Program for PCPs
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Lays Off 58 People
- NEW: Blue Cross Blue Shield RI To Hold Sun Safety Screenings
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of RI to Host ‘Nutrition 101’
- NEW: Blue Cross Blue Shield RI to Hold Free Sun Safety Screening
- Blue Cross’ ‘Lifestyle Blue’ Plan a Great Fit for Small Business
- NEW: Blue Cross Fined $250k for Engaging in Improper Rating and Underwriting Practices
- NEW: Blue Cross & Blue Shield RI Names First Diversity Officer
- NEW: Blue Cross Raises Rates on Businesses
- NEW: Blue Cross & Blue Shield To Offer Free Blood Pressure Screenings
- NEW: Blue Cross Blue Shield Announces Last Call for Medicare Enrollment