Providence Painted Signs to Restore Mural on Hanley Building
Monday, October 09, 2017
Providence Painted Signs to restore the mural originally painted by Johan Bjurman in 1987 on the Hanley building.
The restoration project is underway and expected to be completed before the winter of 2017.
The original mural, painted in the trompe l'oeil style, shows a faux façade of windows and architectural details.
The illusion is revealed in the lower right-hand corner of the building as the painted surface appears to peel away from the wall as a giant piece of paper.
Over the last three decades, the original artwork has faded significantly and the property owners would like to return it to its original luster.
Providence Painted Signs
Providence Painted Signs is a local sign and mural company in business since 2012. Based out of Providence’s west side at 5 Marvin Street, the business is led by Shawn Gilheeney, Buck Hastings and Greg Pennisten. Their work is varied and consists of everything from business signage, to custom artwork to large scale murals. Last summer they painted their original artwork on the Trinity Repertory Theater building above Trinity Brewhouse on Fountain Street in downtown Providence.
Related Slideshow: Artist Umberto Crenca’s Weybossett Street Art Installation
- Whitehouse to Give Weinstein’s $1,000 Donation to Day One in Providence
- “White Trash” Sandwich Pulled from Providence Restaurant Menu After Complaint
- Providence Ranked 3rd Worst City in U.S. for People With Disabilities
- RIDOT Announces Paving Schedule for South & North Main Streets in Providence
- Kaplan “Mr. Innovation” Says Providence Can Compete for Amazon as Part of a Regional Play
- Dennis Calls Elorza “Missing” From Providence on GoLocal LIVE
- School One in Providence to Host Young Writers Program
- VIDEO: Providence Rec Center Brawl Leads to Suspension
- East Providence Mayoral Candidate Joins The Coalition Talk Radio
- LIVE: Crenca on Providence Street Art, New Exhibit in October
- Kobi Dennis Posts to Facebook He is Running for Mayor of Providence
- Providence Ranked Among Slowest Growing Cities in U.S.