GOP Criticizes Mattiello on His Knowledge of Alleged Sexual Harassment at State House
Tuesday, October 30, 2018
The criticism came from some corners of the Republican Party, but other high profile elected officials have yet to make public comment.
The report by WPRI, claims that House Judiciary Chairman Rep. Cale Keable repeatedly sexually harassed Rep. Katherine Kazarian and that Mattiello knew about this sexual harassment and, yet allowed Keable to remain as Chairman of the House Judiciary Committee.
Keable, an attorney with the firm Partridge, Snow, and Hahn was immediately placed on leave by the firm.
“Speaker Mattiello knew that Keable had been sexually harassing another representative for years but allowed Keable to remain as Chairman of House Judiciary. Is this acceptable to Governor Raimondo and other House Democrats? Will they finally join us and support the ouster of Speaker Mattiello?” said GOP candidate for State Senate Brandon Bell.
“When will the Democrats in this state stop being cowards and find the courage to stand up to Mattiello? Hopefully, in a few days, the voters will kick both these men, Keable and Mattiello, out of the House,” added Bell, who is the Chair of the State GOP.
“Mattiello should resign. There is no place for an elected representative actively covering up reported Sexual Harassment in Rhode Island Government,” said GOP candidate for General Treasurer Mike Riley.
None of the candidates for Governor have issued statements on the alleged Keable harassment or Mattiello’s role in retaining him as chairman.
Tanzi said in a statement that she was harassed by a high ranking State House official and was told that sexual favors would help her bills go further.
The State Police and Kilmartin released the following statement at the time:
“Yesterday, Attorney General Peter Kilmartin contacted Colonel Ann C. Assumpico, Superintendent of the Rhode Island State Police and Director of the Department of Public Safety, regarding allegations of sexual harassment at the Rhode Island State House made by Representative Teresa Tanzi. The two agencies are working together to review the allegations. As is the policy of both the State Police and the Attorney General’s Office, the two agencies are not going to be making further comment with respect to the status of or direction of the inquiry.”
- State Police, Kilmartin Issue Statement on Rep. Tanzi’s Allegations of Sexual Harassment
- Top Female Political Consultant Coyne-McCoy Blasts Sexual Harassment “Commission”
- PC’s Prof.Brooks Discusses Sexual Harassment on Thursday’s LIVE and More
- LIVE: PC’s Prof. Brooks Says Sexual Harassment is a “Prevalent Phenomena” in Our Culture
- Rickman’s Big View - Sexual Harassment
- N. Prov. Female Police Lt. Alleges Sexual Harassment by Chief, Inaction by Mayor
- NEW: Gee’s Wife Alleges Sexual Harassment by Gregorian in New Book
- Police Sexual Harassment Case: Mayoral Candidates Weigh In
- Sexual Harassment in Middle School On the Rise
- Bombshell Report Claims Sexual Harassment, Nepotism & Discrimination at City Agency
- NEW: WPRO’s John DePetro Sued For Sexual Harassment
- NewportManners & Etiquette: Sexual Harassment, Unwanted Holiday Guest + Table Manners for Kids
- URI Flips on Flynn’s Honorary Degree, Questions Raised About Jackson and Sexual Harassment Charges
- Rep. Tanzi, Sexual Harassment Commission File Numerous Bills to Prevent Abuse in Workplace
- Mattiello Announces Study Commission to Review Sexual Harassment in Workplace
- RI NOW Voices Support for Sexual Harassment Legislation
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Sen. Sheehan: No More Nondisclosure Agreements in Sexual Harassment Cases
- What Constitutes Sexual Harassment is Not Always Clear: Guest MINDSETTER™ Reardon
- Fung and Morgan Refuse to Condemn Alleged Sexual Harassment By President of RI Young Republicans
- R.W. Alley: Sexual Harassment Training RI Style
- RI Comic Collins Talks About A Culture of Sexual Harassment in Entertainment
- Gilbane Construction Named in Sexual Harassment Complaint Filed Against Several NY Firms
- LIVE: Brown Professor Hastings Working To Eliminate Sexual Harassment In Geoscience Fields
- UPDATED: RI Legislator Accused of Sexual Harassment—During Sexual Harassment Training