PowerPlayer: Warwick Mayor Scott Avedisian
Monday, October 03, 2011
GoLocalProv’s latest PowerPlayer is Scott Avedisian. The Mayor of Warwick was kind enough to tell us about why he got involved in politics, the difficult decisions he has had to make and whether he’ll eventually run for higher office.
1) You're the Mayor of the state's second largest city. Tell us about what made you get into politics.
I went to work in Washington, DC for Senator John Chafee and then at the State House for former Senate Minority Leader Lila M. Sapinsley. They were both great role models and showed me that you can get good things accomplished through politics.
2) All cities and towns have been forced to make difficult financial decisions in recent years. What has been the hardest decision you have made?
Raising taxes, especially in a bad economy, is the most difficult decision.
3) Take us through a day in your life.
Usually awake between 4:30 and 5:00 a.m. Most days try to get an hour on the treadmill done before reading the paper and getting to the office. Meetings most of the day before events and city functions at night.
4) Your name is often thrown around as a candidate for higher office. Would you like to run for something different one day?
It would have to be the right office at the right time. I do not want to run for office solely for the sake of running for office.
5) Tell us something nobody knows about.
I always wanted to be an architect when I was a child.
Role Model: John Chafee and Lila Sapinsley
Favorite Restaurant: Elizabeth of Portofino
Best Beach:Charlestown Town Beach
Best Book You've Read In The Last Year: Abraham Lincoln's Christianity
Advice For The Next Scott Avedisian: Only say what you mean.
If you valued this article, please LIKE GoLocalProv.com on Facebook by clicking HERE.
- PowerPlayer: Congressman David Cicilline
- PowerPlayer: House Speaker Gordon Fox
- PowerPlayer: Lynn Singleton
- PowerPlayer: Warwick Mayor Scott Avedisian
- PowerPlayer: Congressman James Langevin
- PowerPlayer: Jack Templin
- PowerPlayer: Michael D’Amico
- PowerPlayer: Zachary Darrow
- PowerPlayer: Dr. Michael Fine
- PowerPlayer: Jim Vincent
- PowerPlayer: Neil Steinberg
- PowerPlayer:John Taylor
- PowerPlayer: Ed Pacheco
- PowerPlayer: Joseph MarcAurele
- PowerPlayer: Pawtucket Mayor Don Grebien
- PowerPlayer: Allan Fung
- PowerPlayer: Elizabeth Burke Bryant
- PowerPlayer: Josh Miller
- PowerPlayer: Providence Mayor Angel Taveras
- PowerPlayer: City Council Chief of Staff Jake Bissaillon
- PowerPlayer: Family Services of RI CEO Margaret Holland McDuff
- PowerPlayer: Kate Brock
- PowerPlayer: Ray Rickman
- PowerPlayer: City Council President Michael Solomon
- PowerPlayer: GOP Executive Director Pat Sweeney
- PowerPlayer: Keith Stokes
- PowerPlayer: URI President David Dooley
- PowerPlayer: City Year Executive Director Jennie Johnson
- PowerPlayer: Gary Sasse
- PowerPlayer: Ken McKay
- PowerPlayer: Vin Marzullo