NEW: Rep. Filippi Elected House Minority Leader, Chippendale Minority Whip
Thursday, November 08, 2018
This move comes a little over a month after the House GOP voted to remove Patricia Morgan as the leader following her endorsement of Joe Trillo for Governor.
House Speaker Nick Mattiello has scheduled a Democratic caucus for Thursday.
“We must restore confidence in our government. As minority leader, I will work to advance legislation that will bring lasting prosperity to Rhode Island. I am honored to come back to the capital and serve the good people of Rhode Island. It’s time for fresh ideas and a new way forward for our state. It is my promise to citizens across the state that House Republicans will put their priorities and principles first,” said Filippi.
He previously served as Minority Whip and takes over at a time in which the Republican party in Rhode Island is in tatters.
Chippendale Elected Minority Whip
Republicans also elected Michael Chippendale, who has served since 2010, as Minority Whip.
“I look forward to working with Leader Filippi. As a small businessman, thoughtful legislator, and trusted colleague, I know he will make an excellent leader who will skillfully guide our caucus forward,” said Chippendale.
Chippendale previously served as a member of the House Oversight Committee, where he helped lead the investigation into UHIP.
Related Slideshow: Election Night 2018: Photos of Democratic Heaven and GOP Hell in RI
- Rep. Morgan Elected House Minority Leader, Filippi Elected WHIP
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Blake Filippi: Supreme Court Implications for HealthSource RI
- Filippi Submits Bill to Create More Transparency in RI Pension Fund Investments
- Moore: Magaziner Must Embrace Filippi’s Pension Proposal
- Filippi Introduces Bill Increasing Protection for Data Breach Victims in RI
- Minority Whip Filippi Floats “Better” PawSox Plan
- Chippendale Blasts Criminal Investigation of Corso and 38 Studios
- LISTEN: Chippendale Blasts Criminal Investigation of Corso and 38 Studios
- Chippendale Requests Corso, Esten for Hearing on 38 Studios
- Chippendale: Homes Without Internet Access Leave Students Unable to Excel in School
- Chippendale Calls for Halt to $3.6M in Tax Credits Awarded to Robbins from Raimondo, Commerce
- Fung’s Campaign Town Chair Chippendale Calls Parkland High School Student a “Dummy”