NEW: New England NAACP Calls for Marijuana Legalization in RI
Monday, March 03, 2014
According to the release from the NAACP, it recommends passage for the following reasons:
See New England NAACP Reasons for Marijuana Legalization in RI BELOW
1) For more than seven decades, arresting marijuana users has failed to prevent marijuana use.
2) There is an alarming racial disparity in marijuana arrests in Rhode Island and across the United States. African Americans continue to be arrested at nearly three and one half (3 ½) times the rate of Whites. Even though the NAACP and many other advocates have called for an end in the disparate arrest of African Americans for marijuana use and possession, the alarming disparate arrest rate continues unabated. These arrest rates reflect differential treatment by law enforcement officers since the rate of use between African Americans and White is roughly the same. There appears to be no near term solution for the race based arrest of African American marijuana users by law enforcement officers.
3) In 2012, the NAACP called for law enforcement priorities and investments shift from primary low-level, small-scale drug offenses to violent, organized crime, drug and gun traffickers, in order to reduce harm associated with the illicit drug market. Such advocacy by the NAACP has failed to result in meaningful change.
4) In 2012, the NAACP also found that low-level, non-violent drug possession crimes produce a lifetime of consequences for incarcerated drug offenders.
5) In 2011, the NAACP found that funds that should go into education and health are diverted to the war on drugs leaving public schools struggling and underfunded.
6) Also in 2011, the NAACP found that the war on drugs had failed and, the NAACP has consistently advocated for federal, state and local governments to repeal the war on drugs and institute in its place a public health approach that concentrates on reducing drug abuse and its destructive consequences.
Related Slideshow: New England States with Highest Marijuana Arrest Rates
- The Highest Marijuana Prices in New England by State
- PODCAST: The Highest Marijuana Prices in New England by State
- Are Medical Marijuana Users in Rhode Island Risking Their Jobs?
- The Impact of Marijuana Legalization on RI’s College Campuses
- PODCAST: Will RI Be The Next State To Legalize Marijuana?
- Breaking and Entering Doc Holding Marijuana Suspended by RI HEALTH
- The Scoop - Whitehouse Talks State and Federal Marijuana Laws
- RI State Report: Marijuana Decriminalization & Safer Schools
- Guest MINDSETTERS™: A Sensible Marijuana Policy for Rhode Island
- NEW: RI to Introduce Marijuana Regulation + Taxation Bill
- State Report: Marijuana Legalization Bill + Tax Hike Proposal
- In Case You Missed It: Highest Marijuana Prices in New England
- Will Rhode Island Be The Next State To Legalize Marijuana?
- Marijuana Use in the New England States
- Jared Moffat: Now is the Right Time for RI to Regulate Marijuana
- New England States With The Highest Marijuana Arrest Rates
- NEW: Brown to Host Debate on Marijuana Legalization on April 23
- Leonardo Angiulo: MA Court Takes Hit of Justice in Marijuana Rulings
- New Gallup Poll Shows 38% of Americans Have Tried Marijuana
- NEW: Marijuana Arrest Rates Racially Disparate Toward Blacks
- NEW: RI Legalization Bill Would Tax Marijuana Like Alcohol
- PODCAST: Are Medical Marijuana Users in RI Risking Their Jobs?
- NEW: Patrick Kennedy in the Middle of Super Bowl Marijuana Fight