NEW: Brown Poll Says Most RI Voters Support Same-Sex Marriage
Thursday, February 28, 2013
A new statewide public opinion survey conducted by the Taubman Center for Public Policy at Brown University found that 60.4 percent of respondents favor granting the right to marry to gay and lesbian couples, a number nearly identical to a similar poll run by the university three years ago.
Not surprisingly, proponents of same-sex marriage in the state were quick to respond.
“Today’s announcement from the Taubman Center is another demonstration of the strong and growing support our grassroots campaign to win marriage is building across Rhode Island,” said Ray Sillivan, the campaign director for Rhode Islanders United for Marriage. “Every day, our volunteers connect more and more constituents with their legislators. This poll affirms what we are hearing on the phones and at people's doors - a growing majority of Rhode Islanders strongly support marriage equality.”
In addition, the poll also showed that voters continue to have a negative view about the state’s economy and “most express little confidence that state government officials will make the right decisions for the state’s future.”
To see the full results of the Brown poll, click here.
- The 10 People Who Will Decide the Fate of Same Sex Marriage in Rhode Island
- NEW: House of Representatives Will Hear Gay Marriage Bill Tuesday
- Do RI Voters Want to Decide Gay Marriage at the Polls?
- NEW: RI Business Leaders Pledge Support for Same-Sex Marriage
- Don Roach: Gay marriage debate at the tipping point
- NEW: Same-Sex Marriage Approved by House Judiciary Committee
- Gay Marriage Bill Introduced in Rhode Island
- LISTEN: Will Gay Marriage make it out of the Senate Judiciary Committee?
- NEW: Chafee Applauds Committee vote on Same-Sex Marriage
- NEW: Marriage Equality Praises Sen. Whitehouse for Standing Up for Same Sex Marriage
- NEW: Ciccone Wants Voters to Define Marriage
- NEW: Religious Leaders Rally to Oppose Same Sex Marriage
- NEW: House of Representatives Approves Same-Sex Marriage Bill