Chafee Budget Submitted in Near-Record Time
Thursday, January 17, 2013
According to Chafee’s office, the date was the earliest that the budget has been submitted “in over 20 years” and, in his Introduction to General Assembly members, Chafee says that accomplishment sends a strong message.
“This demonstrates my Administration’s commitment to sending a clear message to taxpayers and businesses within our borders and beyond that we are serious about the fiscal discipline necessary to maintain a pro-economic development and pro-growth environment.”
Lawmakers were quick to praise Chafee for his early submission.
“We’re going to look at all the details but I think we are on a very, very good start, probably the best start that we’ve had in terms of budget proposals due to the very fact that it’s on time,” House Speaker Gordon Fox said. “It lets our committees get to work very quickly.”
Some weren’t as optimistic that the extra time will have any effect on the budget’s chances of passing through both chambers untouched.
“We have a little more time but things here move at a snail’s pace,” said Representative Doreen Costa. “I’m just happy that the governor has the budget here early. Unfortunately, I don’t think it’s going to make too much of a difference. We’re still going to be in session until three o’clock in the morning crunching numbers which I don’t think is fair to the people that we represent.”
- CHAFEE BUDGET: $20 Million In New Municipal Aid
- Governor Chafee’s 2013 State of the State Address - The Full Speech
- CHAFEE BUDGET: $3 Million for Workforce Development
- CHAFEE BUDGET: $30.4 Million More for School Aid; Tuition Freeze at State Schools
- Chafee Budget Submitted in Near-Record Time
- Chafee Earns Mixed Grades On Mid-Term Report Card
- Chafee Proposes Lower Corporate Tax Rate
- Chafee Tells State: ‘The Changes We Have Made Are Working.’
- CHAFEE BUDGET: $11.2 Million for ‘Shovel-Ready’ Programs
- Chafee Says No New Taxes in FY2014 Budget
Enjoy this post? Share it with others.
Commenting is not available in this channel entry.