Organize + Energize: How To Handle Your Disorganized Teen
Tuesday, September 24, 2013
Every parent that is disorganized should give their children a chance to be able to develop working organized systems. Teenagers are old enough to know what it means to be organized and how it will affect them going forward.
An organized child will grow up to be an organized adult. High school, college years, and their careers will thrive because they are organized, efficient, and productive. Their employers will have more confidence in them which in turn will lead to more promotions, recognitions and a better quality of work life.
Teenagers need structure, especially in today’s world where everything is fast paced and we all seem to have a lot on our plate. It will be much easier to handle everything that is thrown at them if they are organized. Structure, meaning having working organized systems in the home. Have a system to handle school papers, after school activities, utilizing a calendar and have a system and a home for everything that comes their way.
Teenagers that are disorganized will often have mental clutter. Mental clutter will cause stress and a will cause them to feel overwhelmed. Think about everything your teenage has on their plate right now. Aside from school, are they involved in after school activities, sports, dance, or household chores? To a disorganized teenager this can be information overload. If they are organized and have systems in place, this creates a smooth flow to their lives.
Take the time to sit down with your child and ask the following questions:
- How are you functioning in your room?
- What systems are working, if any?
- Do you have a place for everything in your room?
- How are you handling the paper you bring home from school? Is it just thrown in a corner or is there a system to handle it?
- Are you keeping track of project due dates and events, etc.?
- Do you feel overwhelmed in any area of your life?
Room to improve
Listen, take notes, and then help your child develop working organized systems to help them with their daily routines. Give your children the gift of organization. Give them a chance to see how their quality of life will improve once they become organized. Your children will thank you for it, trust me on this. You can start the process with your children before they are teenagers. Start creating systems for your young ones to follow. Remember, routines become habits.
On October 4, I will be speaking to teenagers in grades 6-12 about getting organized for back to school and beyond at Cumberland Public Library. For more information click here. http://www.organizinginri.com/events.html
- Back To School Organize + Energize: 5 Ways To Make Mornings Easier
- Organize + Energize: 5 Tips For Easier Back To School Shopping
- Organize + Energize: 8 Ways to Get More Time In Your Day
- Organize + Energize: The Power of a Closet Purge
- Back To School Organize + Energize: Creating Homework Spaces
- Organize + Energize: 5 Ways To Get More Free Time
- Organize + Energize: 9 Ways to Save Money + Time At The Market
- Back To School Organize + Energize: Managing Family Paperwork
- Organize + Energize: 7 Tips On Clearing Mental Clutter
- Organize + Energize: Back To School Family Calendar Ideas
- Organize + Energize: 10 Steps To An Organized Garage
- Organize + Energize: 7 Ways To Maximize Your Space
- Organize + Energize: Be Ready For Emergencies
- Organize + Energize: 10 Steps To An Organized Linen Closet
- Organize + Energize: 7 Ways To Organize Your Makeup
- Organize + Energize: Getting Rid Of All That Stuff
- Organize + Energize: 10 Steps To Organizing Your Office
- Organize + Energize: 8 Steps For Organizing Your Home Office
- Organize + Energize: How To Handle Your Disorganized Teen
- Organize + Energize: 10 Steps To a Clutter-Free Bedroom
- Organize + Energize: 8 Ways To Keep Clutter Out Of Your Kitchen
- Organize + Energize: Organize Your Kids
- Organize + Energize: 10 Ways To Have The Best Yard Sale Ever
- Organize + Energize: 8 Ways To Stay Organized For Summer Outings
- Organize + Energize: Tame Your Gym Bag Now