NEW: Providence Gets a D+ in Educated Cities Ranking
Tuesday, September 20, 2011
Ranking #59 among the 100 largest cities in the US, Providence earned a shameful D+ grade in the assessment.
The popular men's magazine which may not be known for covering education, nonetheless put a solid methodology to work: tabulating the Department of Education's high-school graduation rates, along with US Census figures on school enrollment (kindergarten through graduate school) and education levels of people over 25 years of age. Men's Health also used SimplyMap to determine how many households have student loans or take adult-education courses.
That calculus yielded Providence's poor grade. At the front of the class stood a fascinating pair of cities: #1 Madison, WI, and #2 Plano, TX, both of which earned an A+. Behind them, #3 Raleigh, NC, and #4 Burlington, VT, with A grades. Cities that earned an A were #5 Seattle, WA, #6 San Diego, CA, #7 Honolulu, HI, and #8 Fargo, ND.
What cities are with Providence in remedial classes, with D+ grades? Buffalo, NY, New Orleans, LA, St. Petersburg, FL, Riverside, CA, Des Moines, IA, Tucson, AZ, Reno, NV, and Richmond, VA.
A spitball for Boston, which earned a B and came in at #21, and Manchester, NH, which got a C- and ranked #49.
- NEW: Providence #27 Manliest City in America
- NEW: Providence 57th in Nation for Social Networking
- NEW: Providence Drivers Among Worst In Country
- NEW: Providence Named New England’s ‘Coolest City’ by Britain’s Telegraph
- NEW: Providence Named Top Arts Destination by AmericanStyle Magazine
- NEW: Providence Receives An ‘F’ for Smog