College Admissions: 5 Reasons to Attend College in Canada
Monday, October 16, 2017
1. Top Rankings Worldwide
According to U.S. News and World Report’s Best Global Universities Rankings, the University of Toronto ranked 16th, wedged between Yale and U. Michigan. The University of British Columbia came in 33rd, just above NYU. And McGill placed 24th globally in the prestigious QS Worldwide University Rankings.
2. Save $100K Over 4 Years
McGill bases tuition on your program, and that means costs can be higher for business and science programs. However, at present Canadian to U.S. Dollar conversions, the range (including room and board) is about $23,000-$36,000 per year. Compare that to big city private schools like BU or NYU at approximately $60,000 per year. At U. British Columbia, total annual costs come in at approximately $30,000 U.S. dollars, compared to big American state universities like U. Michigan or UCLA at around $50,000-55,000 for out of state students. Remember that most FAFSA based loans can be used for accredited universities in Canada.
3. No Language Barrier
With the exception of some Quebec universities that teach in French, most Canadian universities use English. So, there is no trouble in the classroom or navigating around town. Although you may want to practice saying “eh?” at the end of your sentences.
4. Good Healthcare
While parents may worry about students heading off for study abroad programs in countries with lesser healthcare systems, Canada boasts a top notch healthcare system, or you can opt to come back across the border for medical needs.
5. Absorb Another Culture
Although Canada is similar enough to the U.S. to make you feel at home, there are also differences to explore. From the Canadian Rockies to the French speaking streets of Montreal and the halls of Parliament in Ottawa, there are many unique aspects of Canada for U.S. students to experience.
Related Slideshow: U.S. Department of Education Ranks RI Colleges by Return on Investment
- College Admissions: Will You Get a Free SAT in October?
- College Admissions: 5 Things Rising Seniors Need To Do This Summer
- College Admissions: 10 Western Colleges Worth the Trip This Summer
- College Admissions: How To Get Noticed by College Coaches Now
- College Admissions: 5 Endless Summer Colleges
- College Admissions: SAT Plagued With Issues
- College Admissions: 4 Reasons to Start Your College Applications NOW
- College Admissions: How Social Media Can Ruin Your Application
- College Admissions: Why Every Child Should Help Pay for College
- College Admissions: Advice to The Class of 2016 From The Class of 2015
- College Admissions: 6 Last-Minute Summer Ideas for HS Students
- College Admissions: Insider Secrets for Pre-Med Applicants
- College Admissions: 10 Pieces of Advice for College Freshmen and Their Parents
- College Admissions: 5 Majors You Need to Choose Before You Apply
- College Admissions: Strategies for ADD/ADHD and LD Students
- College Admissions: Why Early Action and Decision Matter
- College Admissions: 4 Fall Pennsylvania Roadtrips
- College Admissions: 5 Things You Need to Know About Financial Aid
- College Admissions: President Obama’s College Scorecard Rankings
- College Admissions: 6 Reasons to Pick a State University
- College Admissions: 6 Great Summer Reads for College Students (And Their Parents)
- College Admissions: 4 New England College Roadtrips
- College Admissions: 6 Steps To A Killer College Application
- College Admissions: Why Starting in 9th Grade Matters
- College Admissions: 5 Most Haunted College Campuses