NEW: St. Pierre Out at WPRO AM
Friday, February 15, 2013
St. Pierre who once hosted the morning drive slot from 6 am to 10 am on WPRO 630 and, most recently, has been Buddy Cianci's sidekick was the latest in a series of cutbacks for the radio group.
Last month, Andrew Gobiel was dropped from the morning show and Tara Granahan was reassigned. They were replaced by WJAR-10 6 pm Anchor Gene Valicenti.
Last winter, Cumulus, the parent company of WPRO AM and WPROFM and three other stations in the market cut 20 local staffers in Rhode Island.
St. Pierre is also the author of St. Pierre's Show Prep, a blog about news and information.
No announcement has been made, but accroding to some sources in Cumulus, St. Pierre may be replaced on the Buddy Cianci show by Tara Granahan.
Hall of Famer
In 2010, St. Pierre was inducted into the Rhode Island Radio Hall of Fame. According to his official bio:
Ron St. Pierre – St. Pierre began his broadcast career at WNRI in Woonsocket in 1977. He spent time in news at WHIM and as night host on WHJY, before moving into management as Assistant Program Director at WHJJ. Promoted to Program Director in 1982, WHJJ soon became a news/talk power. St. Pierre moved to Program Director at WPRO in 1988, where ratings success followed. He was named WPRO-AM General Manager in 1990, and followed with time spent at WWRX, WABC in New York, WSKO AM/FM and stations in West Palm Beach, FL. Currently, Ron serves as Executive Producer and co-host on WPRO, and Program Director for WPRV.
- NEW: WPRO’s John DePetro Sued For Sexual Harassment
- Exclusive: Major Shake Up at WPRO-AM
- Media Wars: WPRO Launches Promo Using Progressive Blog’s Name
- Exclusive: Dumping DePetro In Morning Hurting WPRO-AM
- NEW: Shakeup at WPRO; Valicenti New Morning Host
- BREAKING: WPRO Hires Doreen Costa
- EXCLUSIVE: WPRO Honcho Headed for the Door
- BREAKING: Big Cuts at WPRO - Cumulus Axe Starts to Fall
- NEW: Speaker Fox Calls on WPRO to Pull Critical Ad
- NEW: WPRO’s DePetro Suspended