Projo Goes PayWall - Are You Ready to Pay More than $200 Per Year?
Monday, February 27, 2012
Over the past two decades, the Providence Journal's weekday circulation has decreased from over 200,000 to approximately 77,000 in home delivery and newsstand paid circulation.
“Since 1829, The Providence Journal has delivered value to readers and advertisers through innovation,” said Publisher, President and Chief Executive Officer Howard G. Sutton. “Whether it’s with an afternoon newspaper to bring home the news of the Civil War, or video to report on the War on Terror, or color photography to showcase high school sports, The Journal consistently has been at the forefront of news and information delivery." - Sutton said in a statement to the Providence Journal. Presently, the cost of a print subscription of the Providence Journal is just over $400.00.
This past fall, the Providence Journal introduced a new Web version and according to WPRI.com, the site lost 30% of its traffic. Correspondingly, GoLocalProv has had a 50% increase in traffic since October of 2011 and a 150% increase in traffic year-over-year.
Pay Wall Busts
Gannett, the largest newspaper firm in the country, announced this past week that they will be implementing paywalls across many of its 800 newspapers. Regarding the Gannett decision, Jordan Kurzweil wrote in Tech Crunch, "The paywall, whether for Gannett or other publishers, is a finger in the dyke, a cover-up for tectonic shifts in their businesses. For Gannett, local paper audiences are old (that’s what “longtime trust” means), and may well age out of relevance before Gannett’s gosh-darned paywall gets erected."
- Chafee’s Ownership in the ProJo - Should They Disclose?
- Projo Schools Writer Paid by State Education Funds
- EXCLUSIVE: Speaker Fox Blasts Projo on Pay Raise Stories
- Projo’s Sister Paper is Going to a Pay Model for Online, When is Providence?
- Media Buzz: Cumulus Shake-Up Begins, New Sunrise Show Shines, Where’s The New ProJo?
- NEW: ProJo’s Parent Company - Dallas-based A.H. Belo Announces 2nd Quarter
- Pro-Life Group Bashes Projo
- ProJo Loses Sales and Circulation
- RI Media Experts Weigh In On Pro-Jo Pay Wall
- Projo Going to Paywall - Here is a Peek
- Will Pro-Jo’s Pay Wall Really Work?
- Projo Parent Company Loses $6.7M in First Quarter