URI Edges St. Joe’s 90-87, Advances to A-10 Championship Game
Sunday, March 11, 2018
URI Rams knocked down 14 three-pointers and got 14 points off the bench from freshman Fatts Russell en route to a come from behind 90-87 win over Saint Joseph's in the A-10 Semifinal on Saturday afternoon in Washington D.C.
The Rams advance to the A-10 championship game for the second straight season after winning it last year.
They will play Davidson in the championship game.
URI Storms Back in 2nd
The Rams trailed by as much as 11 points in the second half before storming back.
The Rams trailed 71-70 with 6:16 to play when Cyril Langevine converted a layup and one to put Rhode Island up 73-71 with 6:15 to play in the game.
This would be URI's first lead of the game.
The Hawks would come right back and tie the game at 73 on a jump shot by Shavar Newkirk with just under six minutes to play.
From that point, URI went on a 9-2 run capped off by a three from Jared Terrell to take an 82-75 lead with 3:37 to play.
St. Joseph’s would get within three, 84-81, when Jeff Dowtin hit a step back three with 19 seconds left to put the Rams up 87-81.
The Hawks would get a three on their ensuing possession from Pierfrancesco Oliva to again cut URI’s lead to three, 87-84, with 10 seconds to go.
The Rams would seal the game at the free throw line with Fatts Russell and Terrell combing to make three free throws.
Rhode Island was led by Andre Berry, who poured in 18 points, while Dowtin added 16 points to lift URI to the win.
A-10 Championship Game
The A-10 Championship game is set for 1 p.m. and can be seen on CBS.
Related Slideshow: URI Rams Basketball 2017-18 Projected Starting Lineup
E.C. Matthews - Redshirt Senior
E.C. Matthews returns for his redshirt senior season, now two years removed from ACL surgery. The Rams will need him to regain his form.
Matthews missed a couple of weeks during the preseason with knee tendinitis, but has since returned to practice and did play in URI's "secret scrimmage" against Harvard last week.
Prior to the start of this season, Matthews was named to the first preseason All-Atlantic 10 team during A-10 Media Day. He is also on the John Wooden Award Watch List.
Last season, Matthews averaged 15 points per game on 42% shooting from the field. In the A-10 Tournament, Matthews carried the Rams offense scoring 20, 19 and 19 points respectively in the three games to get the Rams the title.
Jared Terrell - Senior
Jared Terrell was named to second preseason All-Atlantic 10 team during A-10 Media Day.
He returns to the Rams after averaging 13 points, three rebounds and one steal per game in 2016-17.
Terrell will look to build off last season in which he shot 42 % from the field - the highest of his career.
Jeff Dowtin - Sophomore
Jeff Dowtin is coming off a freshman season in which he started the final 19 games, including both NCAA Tournament games.
He averaged six points and two assists in 22 minutes of action per game last season while also recording 17 steals on the year.
In URI's NCAA Tournament game against Creighton, Dowtin poured in a career-high 23 points on 6 of 8 shooting from the field.
Andre Berry - Senior
In two seasons with the Rams, Andre Berry has played in 30 games, but hasn't started any.
For his career, Berry has averaged 2.4 points and 1.6 rebounds in an averaged of six minutes per game.
Cyril Langevine - Sophomore
Cyril Langevine will make the start at one of the forward positions as the Rams will try to replace Hassan Martin, who they lost to graduation.
Last season, Langevine played in 35 games and started five games for URI averaging three point, five rebounds, and one block.
In URI's NCAA game against Oregon, Langevine had a near double-double with nine rebounds and nine points. He also had three steals.
- URI Basketball Releases 2016-17 Non-Conference Schedule
- The URI Basketball Schedule - What we Know, So Far
- URI Basketball Ranked #24 in Preseason Coaches Poll
- Matthews Returns as #23 URI Basketball Hosts Dartmouth in Season Opener Friday
- Brown and URI Basketball Set to Renew Rivalry at Ryan Center
- URI Basketball Signs Head Coach Dan Hurley to Contract Extension
- URI Basketballl 2015-16 Season Preview
- URI Basketball Gets Verbal Commitment From Michael Tertsea
- URI Basketball Gets Verbal Commit From Cyril Langevine
- Former URI Basketball Star Odom Reportedly Found Unconscious in Las Vegas
- NEW: URI Basketball Picked to Finish 2nd in A-10
- URI Basketball Slips to #23 in National Poll - See Top 25
- URI Basketball Moves Up to #21 in National Poll - See Top 25
- Brown, URI Basketball Set to Renew Rivalry at Ryan Center
- URI Basketball Set to Defend A-10 Championship in 2017-18
- URI Basketball Moves Up to #22 in Country in Latest National Poll
- URI Basketball Cracks Top 20, Ranked 18th in Latest National Poll
- URI Basketball Climbs to #16 in Latest National Poll
- URI Basketball Edges Buffalo in Exhibition Game 80-72 in OT
- URI Basketball Picked 1st in A-10 Preseason Poll
- 7 Things to Know About the Future of URI Basketball
- NEW: Former URI Basketball Star Martin to Play NBA Summer League With Orlando
- URI Basketball Gets Commitment From 4-Star Forward Jermaine Harris
- URI Basketball Gets Commitment From 3-Star Guard Brendan Adams
- URI Basketball Owns Longest Active Winning Streak in Country