Bill Introduced to Include Pets in Domestic Protective Orders
Sunday, February 17, 2019
“There is a strong correlation between domestic abuse and animal abuse. If someone is violent towards humans they are likely to be violent towards animals. This legislation will ensure pets are protected under the law from domestic abusers, just as humans are,” said Ruggerio.
Animal Protection Legislation
Ruggerio and O’Brien have both previously sponsored animal protection legislation.
“Often in cases of domestic violence, pets can be severely harmed by the abuser as well. Many states in the country already have laws that include pets in domestic violence protection orders. An innocent animal should not be allowed to be left with dangerous and violent abusers,” said O’Brien.
Last year, Ruggerio sponsored a bill that was signed into law that requires educational institutions using dogs or cats for medical research to make animals no longer useful for research available for adoption.
O’Brien sponsored a law that requires anyone entrusted with the care and control of an animal, such as a veterinarian or an animal shelter worker, to report any discovered instance of animal cruelty to the proper authorities.
Related Slideshow: PHOTOS: General Assembly Opening Session - January 1, 2019
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Rep. Ruggiero: A ‘Victory Day’ For RI Taxpayers & Small Businesses
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Rep. Ruggiero: RhodeWorks - The Right Route to a Stronger Economy
- Nesselbush, Ruggiero to Host State Celebration For International Women’s Day
- NEW: Ruggiero Proposes Waiving Minimum Tax for Startups
- NEW: Deborah Ruggiero named Legislator of the Year by Rhode Island State Nurses Association
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Rep. Ruggiero: Green Energy Sector a Bright Spot In RI Economy
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Rep. Ruggiero: Rhode Islanders are Doers
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Ruggiero: Home Sweet Home as we Age in The Community
- Buppy Pets Owner Ruggiero Talks Expansion on LIVE
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Rep. Ruggiero: Manufacturing is REAL in Rhode Island
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Rep. Ruggiero: Making Waves to Reduce College Debt
- Rep. Ruggiero Introduces Bill to Create Business Sustainability Designation