DEM Identifies Couple Who Died Off of Fort Wetherill in Jamestown
Monday, October 29, 2018
The man and woman have been identified as Kongjuan Wei, 51, and Xianzan Tan, 52, of 5 Calumet Street, Quincy, MA.
As GoLocalProv reported on Sunday, after responding to the 911 call, which came into DEM at 9:33 AM, Environmental Police Officer (EPO) Harold Guise stated that he was approached by Yongjian Chen, 20, who said he had come to Jamestown with the couple to go fishing. Chen, who called 911, said other fishermen on the shore told him they saw a large wave knock Wei down onto the rocks and drag her into the water. Chen said the witnesses told him Tan, who was fishing near his wife, jumped into the water to try to rescue her. Chen arrived to see Tan struggling to swim and Wei slightly farther out in the water. Chen said he saw Tan swimming for about five minutes before appearing to lose consciousness. Soon after, both Chen and the initial witnesses lost sight of both victims.
The US Coast Guard retrieved the victims from the water and brought them to shore where Jamestown Fire and EMS responders tried to resuscitate them. Jamestown Fire and EMS transported Wei and Tan to Newport Hospital where they were later pronounced dead.
Environmental Police estimate that yesterday’s surf was approximately six to eight feet, the remnants of the Nor’easter that came ashore on Saturday.
- RI DEM Recruiting Lifeguards for State Beaches, Parks & Campgrounds
- RI DEM Issues Animal Quarantine at Simmons Farm Petting Zoo Due to Illnesses
- RI DEM Awards $3 Million in Grants for Local Recreation Projects Across State
- NEW: RI DEM Issues “Non-Contact” Advisory for Pawtuxet River Following Power Outage
- Former RI Dem Party Chair Lynch Declines Run for Doyle Senate Seat
- RI DEM Stocks Over 4,000 Trout for Winter Fishing Season
- RI DEM Announces Protection of 30 Acres of Forestland in Hopkinton
- RI DEM Offers Warning About Ice Fishing & Hypothermia
- Tuesday on LIVE: NEEDTOBREATHE’s Lovelace & RI Democratic Party’s Olasanoye
- RI Democrats’ Olasanoye: “RI Republicans Need to Speak Out on Trump Shithole Remarks”
- LIVE: RI DEM’s Coit Explains What the Volvo Ocean Race Means to RI
- RI DEM to Host Clamming Workshops Throughout the Summer
- UPDATED: Former Vice President Biden to Headline Rally for RI Democratic Party
- NEW: RI DEM Cites Fisherman for Exceeding Striped Bass Catch Limit, Donates Fish to Amos House
- Kilmartin’s Treatment of Morgan “Sexist” Says Former RI Dem Party Chair Lynch
- RI Democratic Party Receives $100K Grant From National Committee