CVB Annual Meeting Honorees and Winter Tourism on LIVE
Friday, November 09, 2018
Providence Warwick Convention & Visitors Bureau joined GoLocal LIVE’s Chelsea Guay to discuss the PWCVB accomplishments during the fiscal year 2018, which ran from July 2017 through June 2018 as well as discuss the 2018 Annual Meeting and ROSE awards, held on November 7th of this year.
There were certainly many points of discussion at this years meeting, with eight hotel projects in development, a resurgent airport and a fiscal year-end occupancy of 74.2% in Providence, however, attendees were most excited by the 24 frontline tourism employees honored with ROSE (Recognition of Service Excellence) Awards, citing their outstanding service and dedication.
The event also awarded individuals and businesses cited for special achievements including The Roger Williams Park Zoo, named the organization’s “Partner of the Year,” Leonard Panaggio, honored with a Special Recognition Award for his role in developing the PWCVB during its early years and Mark Cooke, honored with the Sports Champion Award.
Much of the discussion on GoLocal LIVE - WATCH ABOVE - was about the CVB as a whole, details surrounding the vast expansion of hotels in the Providence area as well as conversation surrounding events and winter tourism throughout the state.
The Providence Warwick Convention & Visitors Bureau is an accredited, 501(c)(6) nonprofit organization whose mission is to create vibrant growth for the local hospitality economy by promoting, developing, and expanding a united visitor industry. For more information, contact 401-456-0200 or click here.
Related Slideshow: 10 Great Things to do in RI This Weekend - November 9, 2018
Daily Show's Paul Mecurio at Comedy Connection
Mecurio, a Providence native, is an Emmy & Peabody Award winner for "The Daily Show w/Jon Stewart."
He has made multiple appearances on “The Late Show w/Stephen Colbert” and works on the show as well. Mecurio currently has a one-man show on Broadway, “Paul Mecurio’s Permission to Speak,” which has met with rave reviews and sell-out crowds.
The event goes from 8 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.
Alltech Brewing and Distilling Co. Pint Night
Head down to the Malted Barley to try some tasty brews from Alltech! Reps will be here passing out samples and handing out awesome swag if you buy a pint!
The event goes from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.
Rhode Island World War I Film Festival at Varnum Memorial Armory
Films that will be shown include “Sgt. Stubby: An American Hero,” “Hello Girls,” “The Millionaires Unit,” “Pershing’s Path to Glory” and more.
The event goes from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.
Unravel at Coastal Contemporary Gallery
Original plans and visions, with the assistance of the universe re-routing Coastal Contemporary Gallery towards chance and connectivity, brought us to our November exhibition, UNRAVEL.
This exquisite collaboration features designer and stylist Leslie Grant, designer and painter Taleen Batalian, painter Rebecca Stern, fashion photographer Rob Van Petten and musician and composer Sam Hollister of Aurora Collaborative, with cellist Maia Ashley and harpist Sarah Smith.
The gallery is open from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.
WaterFire Salute to Veterans
WaterFire Providence is hosting its sixth annual Salute to Veterans.
“The sixth Annual WaterFire Salute to Veterans is a full WaterFire lighting solely devoted to saluting and honoring our veterans, officers, currently enlisted members of the armed forces and their families in the region’s largest celebration of veterans of its kind,” said WaterFire in their press release.
The Salute to Veterans will take place on Saturday, November 10 with fires being lit at approximately 5:30 p.m.
This is the final full lighting of the season.
U.S. Gondola Nationals at La Gondola
The U.S. Gondola Nationals is a yearly event held in a city that has a gondola operation. Gondoliers from as far away as the California coast will be in Providence to compete in multiple races including single and tandem distance, sprint, and slalom events.
The event goes from 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
URI Football vs James Madison at Meade Stadium
The URI Rams football team plays their final home game of the season on Saturday when they host James Madison at Meade Stadium on the URI Campus.
A URI win would clinch the program's first winning record in 17 seasons.
Game time is set for 2 p.m.
Pawtucket’s Gallery 175 "Allusions" Exhibit
Gallery 175 introduced its newest exhibit titled "Allusions" earlier this week.
The exhibit will feature three artists including Sasja Lucas, Karen Rand Anderson, and Tracey Maroni.
“On exhibit will be the paintings of three artists whose abstract images allude to a source of inspiration from the natural or built environments,” said Gallery 175 in their press release.
The exhibit will run through December 28, with an artists reception on November 18 from 2 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Festival Ballet's "Up Close on Hope" at Festival Ballet Providence
Experience dance up close at Festival Ballet’s signature Black Box Theatre series. This mixed repertory program includes a wide range of choreography from established and emerging choreographers. It’s a dance experience unlike any other with a perspective and impact that continues to thrill audiences each season.
- LIVE: Hera Gallery Celebrates Local Female Artists
- LIVE: La Salle Senior Develops VR App to Help Public Speaking
- LIVE: Eve and Mathieu Revolutionizes Non-Dairy Milk Distribution
- LIVE: Caprio’s “Caught in Providence” Begins National Distribution
- LIVE: Salisbury Farm Corn Maze Raises Money for Hemophilia Association
- LIVE: Senate Candidate Bell Calls for End to Tax Cuts for the Wealthy
- LIVE: Project LETS’ Hawes Breaks Down Resources Available to Students
- LIVE: Author Turner Helps Moms Find Their Balance With New Book
- LIVE: DeRobbio Decries “Failed” ESL Program in Providence Schools
- LIVE: Interior Designer Garceau: Floor Plans and Furniture
- LIVE: “Swipe Right on the Weekend” with WeKey
- LIVE: Styleweek Northeast Returns to Providence
- LIVE: Academy Players to Debut Updated Performance Space with Opening of “Newsies”
- ELECTION 2018 LIVE: Magaziner Says He Will Be “All Over the State” in Reelection Bid
- VIDEO LIVE: Top SEC Whistleblower Siedle Endorses Fung for Governor, Calls for Investigation
- ELECTION 2018 LIVE: Witman Says She has the Momentum to Win Mayor’s Race
- ELECTION 2018 LIVE: Cicilline Predicts Dems Will Retake the House
- ELECTION 2018 LIVE: Raimondo Denies Collusion and Says Fung and Trillo are One and the Same
- LIVE: 3 Injured as Portion of Mill Building in Pawtucket Collapses During Rehab
- Lawless on LIVE: Whitehouse “Damned If He Did, Damned If He Didn’t” Report Kavanaugh Allegations
- Gorbea on LIVE: Last-Minute Primary Voting Information for Rhode Islanders
- Trillo on LIVE: “I’m Not Going to Tell You What You Want to Hear”
- Lawless on LIVE: “My Bet is Kavanaugh Will Drop Out”
- Providence Mayoral Candidate Witman on LIVE: Strike, Public Safety, Tax Breaks and More
- ELECTION 2018 LIVE: Fung Says Raimondo and Trillo’s Coordination Will Not Stop His Victory