Rhode Islanders for Reform’s Kithes on Challenging Speaker’s Power, on LIVE
Wednesday, January 02, 2019
Rhode Islanders for Reform joined GoLocalProv News Editor on GoLocal LIVE, when the group of nearly thirty individuals protested the Speakership of Nicholas Mattiello when the Rhode Island General Assembly convened this week.
"The Speaker's power is a problem. We need rules reform now," states the group, which goes on to state:
"The Speaker of the Rhode Island House of Representatives has ultimate control over all other representatives. He can appoint and remove committee members, prevent bills from coming to a vote, quietly add amendments to change the law, and nix legislation altogether. This dynamic makes your representative essentially powerless, and unable to adequately represent you in the state house. They fear retribution and punishment if they defy The Speaker, Nicholas Mattiello. The House Rules - the set of operating procedures that govern the House of Representatives - are what give The Speaker this power. And that's a problem. A problem we are unwilling to ignore. But thankfully, the House Rules can be changed. And that's just what we're working to do."
Kithes -- and Rhode Islanders for Reform -- protested Mattiello's eventual re-election as Speaker, but pledged to take action moving forward in 2019.
Related Slideshow: Election Night 2018: Photos of Democratic Heaven and GOP Hell in RI
- Trillo Denies Press Reports About Mattiello Incident 40 Years Ago
- Trillo Was Charged With Assaulting Mattiello in 1970s -
- Mattiello and Frias Race Heats Up — Will Outside Forces Be a Factor?
- RI Latino PAC, NOW and Coalition Against Gun Violence Call for Voters to Defeat Mattiello
- Raimondo & Mattiello Receive Outstanding Achievement Award from Tax Foundation
- EDITORIAL: Projo Praises Mattiello. Any Ties to Trying to Preserve $700K in Legal Notices?
- RI Gun Control Activist Slams Mattiello for Touting “School Safety” Hours After Teen Killed in Prov
- Speaker Mattiello Joins GoLocal LIVE on Tuesday at 3 PM
- Board of Elections Hits Mattiello Consultant — Refers Case to AG for Criminal Investigation UPDATED
- 1-on-1 with Mattiello: Re-Election, Abortion Rights, Line-Item Veto, Raimondo and PawSox
- GOP Criticizes Mattiello on His Knowledge of Alleged Sexual Harassment at State House
- BREAKING: Critics Grow, Mattiello Says Groups Are “Ultra Left Wing” & Raimondo Mum on Speaker’s Fate
- R.W. Alley: “Mattiello’s Strategy for Dealing with Progressives”
- Mattiello Raises Concerns About Raimondo’s Pledge to Expand Free College Tuition to URI, RIC
- Council Approves Fane Tower Height Variance; Mattiello & Ruggerio Urge Elorza to Support Project
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Joe Almeida: Why I Voted Against Mattiello
- UPDATED: Mattiello & Shekarchi Win Reelection to House Leadership, Coalition Calls for Rule Changes
- Young Democrats of RI Call for Mattiello’s Tenure to End Over Handling of Sexual Harassment Claims
- VIDEO: Mattiello Claims Victory Over Frias in House District 15 Race
- Mattiello Says He Will Address Statute of Limitations on Church Sex Offenders in 2019