Urban Expert Renn on Amazon’s Choice of HQ2 Locations & What to Watch For Next
Thursday, November 15, 2018
“They were sort of the obvious places that Amazon would have gone all along,” said Renn. “People were thinking [they] just wanted access to talent and the usual tech markets…so just go to New York or DC or a place like that, maybe Boston — but I think most people were putting DC very close at the beginning because [Bezos] owns the Washington Post.”
Renn, who is a contributing editor of City Journal, and an economic development columnist for Governing magazine, spoke to the backlash regarding the subsidies offered to Amazon, the workforce the tech company is seeking, and how the decision to focus on the “coastal cities” could have a significant impact on the United States’ economy.
During Renn’s 15-year career in management and technology consulting, he was a partner at Accenture and held several technology strategy roles and directed multimillion-dollar global technology implementations.
Related Slideshow: RI Commerce’s Amazon HQ2 Pitch - 2018
- Saul Kaplan Hopes RI Can Implement Some Amazon HQ2 Ideas Even if We Fail
- RI Submits Last Minute Amazon HQ2 Proposal, Commerce Refuses to Disclose Incentives
- CVS and Aetna Worry About UnitedHealth as Well as Amazon
- Did Commerce RI Have Another Iceland Moment in Amazon Proposal?
- Whitcomb: All Bow to Amazon; Mainers Want More Medicaid; Money Underwater; Perfectly Awful Penthouse
- Is it Good for RI, If Amazon HQ2 Goes to Boston?
- Kaplan “Mr. Innovation” Says Providence Can Compete for Amazon as Part of a Regional Play
- Robert Whitcomb: Amazonian Ocean State? Immigration Ambiguities; Block Island Police Logs
- Raimondo Administration Refuses to Answer Questions About Amazon HQ2 Effort
- “Retail Prophet” Stephens on Toys “R” Us, Amazon, and More, on GoLocal LIVE
- 17 RI Experts Tell How Rhode Island Can Win Amazon HQ2
- Teamsters File Federal Labor Complaint Against Amazon Partner Pinnacle in RI
- NEW: Amazon Narrows List for HQ2 to 20 - Boston Makes Cut, RI Out
- Whitcomb: Brainy Brown; Stoned with Second-Hand Smoke; Boston & D.C. Most Likely Amazon HQ2 Winners
- RI Commerce Releases Amazon HQ2 Docs - Redacts Financial Incentives Offered
- Amazon Go Stores Are Threatening to Eat Your Convenience Store’s Lunch & Drink Their Big Gulp, Too
- CVS Tests Membership Program — Mega Business Rivalry with Amazon is Exploding
- Whitcomb: Amazon’s Brilliant Ploy; America’s Minority Rule; Terror in Pawtucket; Try Common Sense
- Amazon Is Slashing Jobs at Whole Foods in New England Region