In Partners HealthCare Acquisition of Care New England, Hospitals Would Be Designated to Brigham
Thursday, March 14, 2019
New details are emerging as hundreds of pages of documents were submitted to the Rhode Island Department of Health this week as part of the application by Partners HealthCare to acquire Rhode Island’s second-largest hospital group -- Care New England.
The application throws a little bit of a curveball as the merger would have the Care New England hospitals — Kent, Women & Infants, and Butler Hospitals, as well as the VNA, being absorbed by Brigham in Boston — a subsidiary of Partners.
Care New England in Rhode Island over the three years has shed thousands of jobs and lost more than $100 million.
Partners HealthCare is a hospital behemoth — a corporation whose annual budget of more than $13 billion is more than 35 percent larger than the state of Rhode Island’s budget.
Partners employs more than 70,000 employees.
Brigham Would Manage Care New England
“Partners has designated Brigham to be the sole corporate member of CNE at the closing of the transaction described in the Affiliation and Integration Agreement (the "Transaction") in light of the success of Brigham's existing nine-year clinical affiliation with CNE," according to the documents submitted to the RI Department of Health by Partners as part of the review process.
“The key considerations of Brigham and CNE in pursuing the Transaction are to stabilize, strengthen and enhance the CNE healthcare system in the communities it serves, to enhance primary care and bring together strong multi-specialty medical providers, to expand ambulatory care services in local, community-based lower cost non-hospital settings, and to strengthen academic and research programs through an enhanced and updated academic affiliation agreement between CNE and Brown University ("Brown"), on behalf of The Warren Alpert Medical School ("WAMS").
Brown's President Christine Paxson has flip-flopped on the deal. In January of 2018, Paxson said the deal would damage RI's healthcare system and the economy, but just a few months later she reversed position and endorsed the deal.
- Partners HealthCare’s Computerized Medical Records System Crashed — Co. Trying to Purchase RI’s CNE
- Boston Mega-Hospital Group Partners HealthCare Moves Forward with Acquisition of Care New England
- Boston’s Partners HealthCare Furthers Discussion With Lifespan - More Loss of Local Control?
- Partners & Care New England Sign Definitive Agreement, Brown Begins Negotiations, Lifespan Out?
- Fung Questions Partners HealthCare’s Expedited Review Request for Acquisition of Care New England
- Whitcomb: Partners Expanding Its Expansionism? Time to Take on New Gilded Age Monopolies
- Raimondo Mutes Concerns About Partners HealthCare as Influential Board Members Host Mega-Fundraiser
- Brown Reverses Course & Signs Deal with Partners HealthCare — Change By Paxson & Raimondo
- Brown Calls on Raimondo to Release Partners Fundraiser Remarks, Return Donations
- NEW: Care New England, Partners Request “Expedited” HCA Review But Have Not Submitted Application