RI Beauty Insider: Wedding Guest Chic
Saturday, May 31, 2014
Country club setting
This wedding is made for a lovely cocktail dress. Colored lace is a big trend right now and looks beautiful in a shift with demure short sleeves. Lacey sherbet colors coordinated with a neat clutch bag and neutral heels is an elegant modern take for a traditional wedding. This time of year the stores are loaded with sophisticated dresses. Try Macy’s, Nordstrom.
Urbane settings can handle a bit of refined edginess. Digital graphic prints can be posh but only in simply shaped dresses. An outside zipper is also on-trend and looks youthful and up-to-date. Accessories should be minimal so as not to clash with the striking motifs. A local boutique is where you’ll find these unusual frocks. Also, on-line sources like Bloomingdales and Saks.
Summer is perfect for the long bohemian maxi skirt and if the beach wedding is easy-going, this is the place to trot one out. They look great with flat sandals but to dress them up, try a stone or crystal statement necklace peeking out from a white shirt. It’s casual chic at its best but only if the wedding is truly laid-back. Add some arm candy with scads of shiny bangles. TJ Maxx has the maxi skirt in a plethora of prints and colors.
Pretty inns are dreamy settings that inspire romantic feminine expressions. Be pretty as a picture in swishy silk or floaty chiffon. Look for dresses that have delicate embroidery or go for a bold floral in a 50’s style full skirt. If you have the confidence, add some vintage white gloves for ultimate charm. Resale and vintage shops may have this look or if you’re lucky, Grandma’s closet.
Today’s weddings are happy affairs that remove us from the mundane and the ordinary. Allow yourself to dress with flair but still be mindful of the setting and venue. There are so many ways to express yourself but unlike the Royals, you don’t need a silly bird cage on your head to do it!
Donna Macdonald is a freelance writer who enjoys covering topics of interest to women, especially fragrance, style, beauty. She has also written marketing material for a women's book that hit the New York Times Bestseller list and netted her an up close and personal discussion on the Oprah Winfrey Show. Donna currently writes her own personal blog, alovelyinconsequence.blogspot.com where she also writes about issues close to a woman's heart. Donna believes that when a woman finds beauty in the world, she will find beauty in herself.
Related Slideshow: Newport’s Wyndham Estate in Photos
With a spacious Master Bedroom, large circular Turret and East bedrooms, plus four guest bedrooms; hosting overnight guests is never likely to be problematic in this mansion.
* Master Bedroom - 22'8" by 14'
* Turret Bedroom - 17'10" circular
* East Bedroom - 17'2" by 17'5"
* Guest Bedroom - 12'4" by 11'6"
* Guest Bedroom - 18'6" by 14'10"
* Guest Bedroom - 11'3" by 11'3"
* Guest Bedroom - 12'5" by 8'2"
Want to experience a different view of the Newport Mansions? Try the Newport Cliff Walk. The 3.5 mile long public access pathway pairs the beauty of the Newport coastline with some of the island's historic mansions -- including Beechwood, Rosecliff, Marble House, The Breakers, Ochre Court, and Rough Point
- RI Beauty Insider: New Year’s Eve Glamour at Home
- Beauty Insider: Polar Vortex Style – Looking Chic in Frigid Cold
- Beauty Insider: Baby, It’s Cold Outside— Hand Care for Chilly Days
- RI Beauty Insider: Holiday Gift Sets – A Perfect Gift for Her
- RI Beauty Insider: Eight Easy Ways to Look Great Tonight
- RI Beauty Insider: Staying Beautiful With Honey
- RI Beauty Insider: Romantic Valentine’s Day Style
- RI Beauty Insider: Three Simple Steps for a Celestial Complexion
- Beauty Insider: Mother’s Day Gifts - Palettes to Make Mom Pretty
- RI Beauty Insider: Tomboy Style and the Simple Life
- RI Beauty Insider: Pedi Nation – Get the Best Pedicure Ever
- Beauty Insider: Luck Be a Lily – Lily of the Valley Spring Beauty
- RI Beauty Insider: The Transformative Power of Lipstick
- Beauty Insider: A Breath of Fresh Air—Adding Spring to Your Style