Berry’s Double-Double leads URI to 72-65 Win at Saint Louis
Wednesday, January 10, 2018
Berry poured in 17 points for the second straight game and grabbed a season-high 10 rebounds. It is his first double-double of the season.
The win is the seventh straight for URI and improves them to 12-3 overall and 4-0 in the A-10.
Saint Louis drops to 8-9 overall and 1-3 in the A-10.
URI Escapes With Win
The URI Rams trailed 63-62 with 5:47 to play in the game after Saint Louis’ Hasahn French converted a layup.
On URI’s next possession, E.C. Matthews drove to the basket and got a layup to go to give the Rams the lead back at 64-63.
Saint Louis would only score two points the rest of the half.
The Rams extended their lead to 67-63 after two free throws by Berry and one free throw by Terrell before Saint Louis’ Javon Bess knocked down a jump shot to cut URI’s lead back to two, 67-65, with 1:17 to play.
However, the Billikens would not score the rest of the way.
URI would get two free throws from Stanford Robinson, a free throw from Matthews, two free throws from Terrell to seal the 72-65 win.
Matthews finished the game with 10 points, while Robinson added eight points.
URI returns to action on Saturday, January 13 when they host St. Bonaventure at the Ryan Center.
Game time is 11 a.m. and can be seen on ESPNU.
Rhode Island keeps the chains moving with a seven-point road win at Saint Louis. Rams are the class of the A 10; will get everyone's best shot this season.— Jon Rothstein (@JonRothstein) January 10, 2018
Related Slideshow: URI Rams Basketball 2017-18 Projected Starting Lineup
E.C. Matthews - Redshirt Senior
E.C. Matthews returns for his redshirt senior season, now two years removed from ACL surgery. The Rams will need him to regain his form.
Matthews missed a couple of weeks during the preseason with knee tendinitis, but has since returned to practice and did play in URI's "secret scrimmage" against Harvard last week.
Prior to the start of this season, Matthews was named to the first preseason All-Atlantic 10 team during A-10 Media Day. He is also on the John Wooden Award Watch List.
Last season, Matthews averaged 15 points per game on 42% shooting from the field. In the A-10 Tournament, Matthews carried the Rams offense scoring 20, 19 and 19 points respectively in the three games to get the Rams the title.
Jared Terrell - Senior
Jared Terrell was named to second preseason All-Atlantic 10 team during A-10 Media Day.
He returns to the Rams after averaging 13 points, three rebounds and one steal per game in 2016-17.
Terrell will look to build off last season in which he shot 42 % from the field - the highest of his career.
Jeff Dowtin - Sophomore
Jeff Dowtin is coming off a freshman season in which he started the final 19 games, including both NCAA Tournament games.
He averaged six points and two assists in 22 minutes of action per game last season while also recording 17 steals on the year.
In URI's NCAA Tournament game against Creighton, Dowtin poured in a career-high 23 points on 6 of 8 shooting from the field.
Cyril Langevine - Sophomore
Cyril Langevine will make the start at one of the forward positions as the Rams will try to replace Hassan Martin, who they lost to graduation.
Last season, Langevine played in 35 games and started five games for URI averaging three point, five rebounds, and one block.
In URI's NCAA game against Oregon, Langevine had a near double-double with nine rebounds and nine points. He also had three steals.
- NEW: URI Basketball Picked to Finish 2nd in A-10
- Former URI Basketball Star Odom Reportedly Found Unconscious in Las Vegas
- URI Basketballl 2015-16 Season Preview
- URI Basketball Signs Head Coach Dan Hurley to Contract Extension
- The URI Basketball Schedule - What we Know, So Far
- URI Basketball Gets Verbal Commit From Cyril Langevine
- URI Basketball Gets Verbal Commitment From Michael Tertsea
- NEW: Bill Murray’s Son, Luke, Leaves URI Basketball For Xavier
- NEW: URI Basketball Lands Indiana Transfer Robinson
- URI Basketball Alums, Biruta, Baron and Munford, Set for NBA Summer League Action
- URI Basketball to be Featured as Part of ESPN’s Tip-Off Marathon
- URI Basketball Releases 2016-17 Non-Conference Schedule
- URI Basketball Ranked #24 in Preseason Coaches Poll
- URI Basketball Gets Commitment From 3-Star Guard Brendan Adams
- URI Basketball Gets Commitment From 4-Star Forward Jermaine Harris
- URI Basketball Picked 1st in A-10 Preseason Poll
- URI Basketball Edges Buffalo in Exhibition Game 80-72 in OT
- URI Basketball Set to Defend A-10 Championship in 2017-18
- NEW: Former URI Basketball Star Martin to Play NBA Summer League With Orlando
- 7 Things to Know About the Future of URI Basketball
- Matthews Returns as #23 URI Basketball Hosts Dartmouth in Season Opener Friday
- Brown and URI Basketball Set to Renew Rivalry at Ryan Center
- URI Basketball Slips to #23 in National Poll - See Top 25
- URI Basketball Moves Up to #21 in National Poll - See Top 25
- Brown, URI Basketball Set to Renew Rivalry at Ryan Center