URI Football Looks to Bounce Back vs. Albany
Saturday, September 12, 2015
University of Rhode Island Rams football team (0-1) visit the (0-1) Albany Great Danes on Saturday afternoon. Kickoff is set for 3:30 p.m. and the game can be found on the American Sports Network.
Both Albany and URI come into this game off of blowout losses in their respective season openers. The Rams fell 47-0 to Syracuse while Albany fell 52-14 to the University of Buffalo.
Keys to Bouncing Back - Offense
After a tough season opening loss, the Rams will look to put it behind them with a win over Albany.
For URI to win they will need quarterback Paul Mroz and the running game to be much better. Mroz was 10-of-20 passes for 60 yards and one interception while URI's running backs only ran for four yards.
Last week, URI went 1-for-11 on third down, held the ball for less than 20 minutes and turned the ball over four times including three fumbles.
The Rams are facing an Albany team who gave up 250 yards of offense in the air last week to Buffalo.
Keys to Bouncing Back - Defense
Despite the loss last week, the URI secondary held their own, only giving up 114 yards of offense in the air to Syracuse. The Rams held the Orange to only six yards per completion and got an interception.
The Rams focus will be on stopping the run. Against Syracuse, URI gave up 312 rushing yards on 58 carries.
With the secondary feeling pretty good about themselves, the front seven will look to get some confidence in this game.
Against Albany, URI will see quarterback D.J. Crook who went 11-of-22 for 104 yards with one touchdown and two interceptions in the game.
URI vs. Albany
This will be the third all-time meeting between URI and Albany with teams splitting the first two.
In last year's game, URI held a 14-0 lead before Albany ripped off 37 straight points and went on to win 37-20.
This year's game marks the CAA opener for both teams.
- PC, URI Stars Showcased in NBA Summer League
- Brown Football Schedule Released, Play URI for 100th Time
- NEW: URI Releases Non-Conference Basketball Schedule, Host PC on Dec. 5
- Mechanical Error at RI DLT Releases 832 Social Security Numbers
- Will a Rhode Island Firm Win the $5 Million Tourism Campaign?
- URI Basketball Alums, Biruta, Baron and Munford, Set for NBA Summer League Action
- 18 Million Social Security Numbers Stolen in Undisclosed Gov. Data Breach
- Allen Iverson’s Cousin, Kuran, to Play For URI Next Season
- Three Rhode Island Tourism Icons in Legal Battles
- Guest MINDSETTER™ Rep. Lauren Carson: Reorganize, Re-energize RI Tourism
- Guest MINDSETTER ™ John Loughlin: National Security is Embedded in the Arctic
- Riley: Providence, Ken Lay and the Securities Exchange Commission
- Former State Rep Calls for Private Security on East Side
- NEW: URI Names Ebrahimpour College of Business Dean
- Would RI Tourism Account Be an Economic Spark?
- School Bugs: 5 Ways to Boost Your Family’s Health During the School Year
- Fecteau: Does Obama’s Foreign Policy Jeopardize Our National Security?
- Cranston West Beats Missouri, Avoids Elimination
- NEW: Providence Closes City Pools During Heat Wave
- URI Alum Henderson Named 62nd PGA Golf Professional of the Year
- Homeland Security Test at T.F. Green Opposed by RI ACLU
- URI is 1 of 14 Organizations to Receive $2.5 Million Grant to Improve Geriatric Care
- URI Basketball to be Featured as Part of ESPN’s Tip-Off Marathon
- URI Football Set to Kick Off 2015 Season vs Syracuse