URI Football Hosts Villanova in Final Home Game of Season
Saturday, November 11, 2017
The Rams enter the game with a record of 2-7 and 1-5 in conference, while Villanova enters the game with a 4-5 overall record and 2-4 in conference.
Game time is set for 12 p.m.
URI vs Villanova
The Rams and Wildcats will meet for the 22nd time in program history with Villanova leading the all-time series 19-3.
URI is 2-7 when hosting Villanova at Meade Stadium.
Villanova has won the last five meetings, including a 35-0 victory last year.
The Rams offense enters the game averaging 21 points and 338 total yards per game so far this season.
They will be led by redshirt junior quarterback JaJuan Lawson. Lawson has completed 62 passes for 712 yards with six touchdowns and two interceptions.
He also has racked up 243 rushing yards.
Running back Harold Cooper will look to continue his momentum, having rushed 109 times for 474 yards and four touchdowns on the season.
Sophomore wide receiver Aaron Parker has caught seven touchdown passes this season, five of which have been for 25 yards or longer.
"Parker is the best of the bunch. He is only a sophomore, he has a lot of time to play for URI, he is an all-CAA player, one of the best receivers in the league right now," said URI Radio play-by-play man Steve McDonald.
Coming into the game, the URI defense has given up an average of 29 points and 398 total yards per game.
URI recorded three sacks last week against James Madison, and now have 27 on the season.
They rank third in the conference behind James Madison and Richmond.
The program record for sacks in a season is 29, set by the 2005 team.
Junior linebacker Justin Hogan leads URI with 75 tackles on the season.
Related Slideshow: RI Teams To Win National Championships
PC Basketball 1960-61 NIT
The Providence College Friars won the National Invitation Tournament(NIT) in 1961, defeating St. Louis 62-59 at Madison Square Garden in New York.
At this time, the NIT was considered to be the National Championship of College Basketball.
The Friars were led by Vinny Ernst and James Hadnot that season.
PC Women's Cross Country
The 1995 Providence Friars won the programs first NCAA title. On the way, PC won their first BIG EAST and ECAC Championships.
Head Coach Ray Treacy was named NCAA Division I Women's National Coach of the Year, BIG EAST Men's and Women's Coach of the Year, Rhode Island Words Unlimited Women's Coach of the Year and NCAA District I Women's Cross Country Coach of the Year.
Brown Women's Crew '99
Brown women's crew won the first NCAA Division I Championship in Brown University History by defeating the University of Virginia by a three-second margin at lake Natoma in California.
Brown also won the Eastern Sprint Championship and the Ivy Championship, setting a new course record in the process.
Photo courtesy of Brownbears.com
Brown Women's Crew 2000
Brown repeated as national Champions in 2000, beating the University of Washington by 3.9 seconds four points.
In addition, Brown's varsity and second varsity won the Eastern Sprint Championship and the IVY league Championship.
Both teams went undefeated on the season.
URI Women's Sailing 2011
The URI Women won the programs first National Championship in small boat sailing in the 79 year history of the program and hoisted the Gerald C. Miller Memorial Trophy at the Sperry Top-Sider/Intercollegiate Sailing Association Women’s National Championship.
The Rams won the title as a club team and were one of two club teams competing for the title. The other club team was Western Washington, who finished 17.
Photo courtesy of uri.edu
PC Hockey 2015
The Providence College Friars won the 2015 NCAA Ice Hockey National Championship, defeating Boston University 4-3 at the TD Garden.
The Championship is the first in the program's history and only the third NCAA National Title in Providence College History.
PC goatender Jon Gillies was named Most Outstanding Player.
- URI Football Snaps 23 Game Road Losing Streak, Beat Elon 44-14
- URI Football Has Its Worst Loss Ever - Crushed 84-7
- SPECIAL REPORT: URI Football’s Losing Legacy and the Threat of Concussion Litigation
- Governor’s Cup Game Between Brown & URI Football to be Played at Night
- URI Football Set to Open 2017 Season Against Central Michigan, Play on ESPN3
- URI Football Falls 35-0 to Villanova
- Brown & URI Football Set for 35th Governor’s Cup Game
- URI Football Falls 27-17 to Maine
- 2 URI Football Players Arrested, Charged With Assault and Disorderly Conduct
- URI Football Alum Kevin Mustac Saves Child’s Life With Bone Marrow Donation
- URI Football Set for 2016 Season
- URI Football Loses 30-27 Triple OT Heartbreaker to Central Michigan
- URI Football Hosts Stony Brook to Open Conference Play
- URI Football Falls in Heartbreaker to #14 Elon 35-34
- URI Football Hosts #14 Elon on Homecoming Weekend
- URI Football Beats Albany 31-14 for 1st Conference Win
- URI Football Set to Host #1 James Madison, Try to Avenge 84-7 Loss Last Year
- URI Football Falls to #1 James Madison 38-3
- URI Football Wraps Up 3-Game Road Trip at Maine on Saturday
- Brown, URI Football Set for 102nd Governor’s Cup Game - Under the Lights
- URI Football Set to Host Harvard on Saturday
- URI Football Earns First Ever Win Over Harvard 17-10
- URI Football Looks to Upset #15 New Hampshire on ESPN3
- URI Football: “Think Bigger. Stop the Pain.”