URI Football Falls 35-0 to Villanova
Sunday, October 09, 2016
URI Rams fell 35-0 to #12 Villanova Wildcats on Saturday afternoon at Villanova Stadium in Philadelphia.
The Rams now fall to 1-5 on the season and 0-3 in conference play, while Villanova moves to 5-1 and 3-0 in conference play.
Unable to Slow Down the Wildcats
Villanova’s offense was dominant right from the start of the game, scoring on four of their first five possessions.
First, it was running back Javon White who took the ball 16 yards for a score to give Villanova a 7-0 lead after a Gerard Smith extra point was good.
On Villanova’s next possession, receiver Ryan Bell caught a 36 yard pass from Villanova quarterback Zach Bednarcyzk to put the Wildcats up 14-0 after a Smith extra point sailed through the uprights.
Villanova took a 21-0 first quarter lead after running back Aaron Forbes took the Wildcats first play of the drive 67 yards to the end zone .
The Villanova offense rushed for a total 317 yards and had four different players rush for at least 50 yards in the game
Wildcats would add a touchdown in the second quarter, and another in the third quarter to build a 35-0 lead.
URI Offensive Struggles
Besides being shut out, the Rams offense picked up a total of six first downs in the game and only 103 yards of total offense on 52 offensive plays.
Quarterback Jordan Mazzano completed 14 of his 30 passes for 75 yards with an interception, while running back T.J. Anderson led the Rams with 33 yards rushing on eight carries.
Junior running back Harold Cooper ran for ten yards on ten carries after running for 135 yards last week. He also led the Rams with 3 catches for 24 yards.
URI had a total of 28 net rushing yards in the game.
The Rams visit Stony Brook next Saturday. Game time is set for 4 p.m.
- First Semester Grade - URI Rams: F
- URI Rams Men’s Soccer Back in National Rankings
- URI Rams Rolled By #11/12 Kansas 76-60 in Orlando
- URI Rams Set to Host Iona in First Round of NIT
- URI Falls 76-69 at Dayton
- URI Falls Just Short in Upset Bid Over VCU, Lose 65-60
- URI Falls Just Short at UMass, Lose 60-56
- URI Falls Short, Loses at Fordham 85-79
- Cold-Shooting URI Falls At Xavier 84-66
- URI Falls At Texas 100-90
- URI Falls To UCF 65-54
- URI Falls At Fordham 66-64
- 5 Game Winning Streak Snapped, URI Falls 65-64 to Saint Joseph’s.
- URI Falls 60-59 to Davidson in A-10 Thriller
- URI Falls to UMass 61-56 in OT
- URI Falls to VCU 83-67
- Hassan Martin Leaves Game, URI Falls 65-54 to Davidson
- URI Falls to Saint Joseph’s 64-55
- URI Falls Short at St. Bonaventure, Lose 69-64
- NCAA Tourney Hopes Shattered, URI Falls 56-52 to Dayton
- Martin Injured as URI Falls 71-65 to Old Dominion
- NEW: URI Falls at Saint Joseph’s 72-67
- URI Falls to UNC Wilmington 11-7, Face Elimination Today
- Brown Beats URI to Win Governor’s Cup
- URI Wins Governor’s Cup 28-13 Over Brown
- Brown & URI Football Set for 35th Governor’s Cup Game
- Brown Wins 5th Straight Governor’s Cup, Beat URI 41-31