URI Football Earns First Ever Win Over Harvard 17-10
Sunday, September 17, 2017
The win is URI’s first-ever win over Harvard. It is also Harvard’s first loss in a season opener since 2011.
URI improves to 1-2 on the season.
URI Edges Harvard
With the score tied at 10 in the second quarter, URI quarterback Tyler Harris led the Rams on a 69 yards drive that ended with him running 1-yard to the end zone with 1:46 to play in the half to give URI a 17-10 lead. A lead they would take to the locker room.
The score remained scoreless in the second half with the Crimson’s final chance coming at the URI 25-yard line with seven seconds left.
Harvard quarterback Joe Viviano's final pass went incomplete through the back of the end zone with no time left on the clock, giving URI their first win of the season.
Harris finished the game with 235 passing yards with one passing and one rushing touchdown
URI returns to action on Saturday, September 23 when they visit New Hampshire.
Kick-off is set for 3:30 p.m.
Related Slideshow: RI Teams To Win National Championships
PC Basketball 1960-61 NIT
The Providence College Friars won the National Invitation Tournament(NIT) in 1961, defeating St. Louis 62-59 at Madison Square Garden in New York.
At this time, the NIT was considered to be the National Championship of College Basketball.
The Friars were led by Vinny Ernst and James Hadnot that season.
PC Women's Cross Country
The 1995 Providence Friars won the programs first NCAA title. On the way, PC won their first BIG EAST and ECAC Championships.
Head Coach Ray Treacy was named NCAA Division I Women's National Coach of the Year, BIG EAST Men's and Women's Coach of the Year, Rhode Island Words Unlimited Women's Coach of the Year and NCAA District I Women's Cross Country Coach of the Year.
Brown Women's Crew '99
Brown women's crew won the first NCAA Division I Championship in Brown University History by defeating the University of Virginia by a three-second margin at lake Natoma in California.
Brown also won the Eastern Sprint Championship and the Ivy Championship, setting a new course record in the process.
Photo courtesy of Brownbears.com
Brown Women's Crew 2000
Brown repeated as national Champions in 2000, beating the University of Washington by 3.9 seconds four points.
In addition, Brown's varsity and second varsity won the Eastern Sprint Championship and the IVY league Championship.
Both teams went undefeated on the season.
URI Women's Sailing 2011
The URI Women won the programs first National Championship in small boat sailing in the 79 year history of the program and hoisted the Gerald C. Miller Memorial Trophy at the Sperry Top-Sider/Intercollegiate Sailing Association Women’s National Championship.
The Rams won the title as a club team and were one of two club teams competing for the title. The other club team was Western Washington, who finished 17.
Photo courtesy of uri.edu
PC Hockey 2015
The Providence College Friars won the 2015 NCAA Ice Hockey National Championship, defeating Boston University 4-3 at the TD Garden.
The Championship is the first in the program's history and only the third NCAA National Title in Providence College History.
PC goatender Jon Gillies was named Most Outstanding Player.
- URI Football Set to Kick Off 2015 Season vs Syracuse
- URI Football Looks to Bounce Back vs. Albany
- URI Football Falls 27-17 to Maine
- 2 URI Football Players Arrested, Charged With Assault and Disorderly Conduct
- URI Football To Stay In CAA
- URI Football Kick Beats #19 William & Mary
- Almost a “Miracle” for URI Football vs Syracuse
- URI Football Ready to Make Some Noise
- Brown, URI Football Grab the Spotlight
- URI Football Alum Kevin Mustac Saves Child’s Life With Bone Marrow Donation
- URI Football Set for 2016 Season
- Governor’s Cup Game Between Brown & URI Football to be Played at Night
- URI Football Set to Open 2017 Season Against Central Michigan, Play on ESPN3
- URI Football Loses 30-27 Triple OT Heartbreaker to Central Michigan
- URI Football Hosts Stony Brook to Open Conference Play
- SPECIAL REPORT: URI Football’s Losing Legacy and the Threat of Concussion Litigation
- URI Football Snaps 23 Game Road Losing Streak, Beat Elon 44-14
- Brown & URI Football Set for 35th Governor’s Cup Game
- URI Football Falls 35-0 to Villanova
- URI Football Has Its Worst Loss Ever - Crushed 84-7
- URI Football Set to Host Harvard on Saturday