URI Basketball Climbs to #16 in Latest National Poll
Tuesday, February 13, 2018
The ranking is the highest in-season ranking in the program's history.
15 Game-Winning Streak
The Rams enter the week having won 15 straight games, the second-longest active win streak in the country, behind Eastern Tennessee State’s 16-game winning streak.
Earlier this week, the Rams cruised past Davidson 72-59 at the Ryan Center behind 17 points from Jarvis Garrett and a combined 41 points from the bench.
The Rams have moved up to 5th in the RPI rankings, one spot behind Auburn and ahead of Purdue and Duke.
The RPI rankings measure the team's strength of schedule and is adjusted based on wins and losses and who those wins and losses come against.
On Sunday, CBS Sports projected the Rams as a 5-seed in the NCAA Tournament with analyst Clark Kellogg says Rhode Island could be as high as a four seed.
ESPN’s Joe Lunardi also projects the Rams as a five seed in his latest bracket projection released on Monday.
The Rams return to action on Tuesday, February 13 when they host Richmond at the Ryan Center.
Game time is set for 8:30 p.m.
Related Slideshow: URI Rams Basketball 2017-18 Projected Starting Lineup
E.C. Matthews - Redshirt Senior
E.C. Matthews returns for his redshirt senior season, now two years removed from ACL surgery. The Rams will need him to regain his form.
Matthews missed a couple of weeks during the preseason with knee tendinitis, but has since returned to practice and did play in URI's "secret scrimmage" against Harvard last week.
Prior to the start of this season, Matthews was named to the first preseason All-Atlantic 10 team during A-10 Media Day. He is also on the John Wooden Award Watch List.
Last season, Matthews averaged 15 points per game on 42% shooting from the field. In the A-10 Tournament, Matthews carried the Rams offense scoring 20, 19 and 19 points respectively in the three games to get the Rams the title.
Jared Terrell - Senior
Jared Terrell was named to second preseason All-Atlantic 10 team during A-10 Media Day.
He returns to the Rams after averaging 13 points, three rebounds and one steal per game in 2016-17.
Terrell will look to build off last season in which he shot 42 % from the field - the highest of his career.
Jeff Dowtin - Sophomore
Jeff Dowtin is coming off a freshman season in which he started the final 19 games, including both NCAA Tournament games.
He averaged six points and two assists in 22 minutes of action per game last season while also recording 17 steals on the year.
In URI's NCAA Tournament game against Creighton, Dowtin poured in a career-high 23 points on 6 of 8 shooting from the field.
Cyril Langevine - Sophomore
Cyril Langevine will make the start at one of the forward positions as the Rams will try to replace Hassan Martin, who they lost to graduation.
Last season, Langevine played in 35 games and started five games for URI averaging three point, five rebounds, and one block.
In URI's NCAA game against Oregon, Langevine had a near double-double with nine rebounds and nine points. He also had three steals.
- URI Basketball Signs Head Coach Dan Hurley to Contract Extension
- URI Basketballl 2015-16 Season Preview
- The URI Basketball Schedule - What we Know, So Far
- URI Basketball Releases 2016-17 Non-Conference Schedule
- URI Basketball Ranked #24 in Preseason Coaches Poll
- NEW: URI Basketball Picked to Finish 2nd in A-10
- Former URI Basketball Star Odom Reportedly Found Unconscious in Las Vegas
- URI Basketball Alums, Biruta, Baron and Munford, Set for NBA Summer League Action
- URI Basketball to be Featured as Part of ESPN’s Tip-Off Marathon
- URI Basketball Gets Verbal Commitment From Michael Tertsea
- URI Basketball Gets Verbal Commit From Cyril Langevine
- Matthews Returns as #23 URI Basketball Hosts Dartmouth in Season Opener Friday
- Brown and URI Basketball Set to Renew Rivalry at Ryan Center
- URI Basketball Edges Buffalo in Exhibition Game 80-72 in OT
- URI Basketball Picked 1st in A-10 Preseason Poll
- URI Basketball Set to Defend A-10 Championship in 2017-18
- Brown, URI Basketball Set to Renew Rivalry at Ryan Center
- URI Basketball Moves Up to #22 in Country in Latest National Poll
- URI Basketball Gets Commitment From 3-Star Guard Brendan Adams
- URI Basketball Gets Commitment From 4-Star Forward Jermaine Harris
- URI Basketball Slips to #23 in National Poll - See Top 25
- URI Basketball Moves Up to #21 in National Poll - See Top 25
- 7 Things to Know About the Future of URI Basketball
- NEW: Former URI Basketball Star Martin to Play NBA Summer League With Orlando
- URI Basketball Cracks Top 20, Ranked 18th in Latest National Poll