Robinson’s Buzzer Beating Three Lifts #24 URI Over Duquesne 61-58
Sunday, January 28, 2018
URI's Stanford Robinson knocked down a corner three just before the buzzer to lift the Rams to a 61-58 win over Duquesne on Saturday afternoon at the Ryan Center.
URI has now won 12 straight games and 16 straight conference games dating back to last season.
The win improves the Rams to 17-3 overall and 9-0 in the A-10.
Duquesne falls to 14-8 overall and 5-4 in the conference.
URI Storms Back to Beat Duquesne
URI trailed by as much as 15 points, 38-23, with 16:14 left to play in the game before going on a 15-4 run to cut Duquesne’s lead to 42-38 with 8:59 to play following a jump shot by Jared Terrell.
Duquesne would push their lead to as much as six points, 44-38, before the URI went on a 7-1 run to tie the game at 45 with 6:49 to play on a jumper by E.C. Matthews.
URI would take their first lead since the first half with 4:38 to play when Robinson converted a layup to put the Rams up 51-49 with 4:38 to play in the game.
Rhode Island would lead 58-56 with 1:04 to play before Duquesne’s Eric Williams tied the game at 58 with a layup with 28 seconds to go.
On Rhode Island’s final possession, sophomore guard Jeff Dowtin found Robinson in the corner in front of the URI bench for the game-winning three with no time left on the clock.
The Rams were led by Matthews, who poured in 20 points on 7 of 14 shooting from the field. Terrell followed up with 12 points.
URI returns to action on Tuesday, January 30 when they visit UMass.
Game time is set for 7 p.m.
Stan Robinson with the GW three-point shot at the buzzer as Rhode Island beats Duquesne by three. Rams remain perfect in Atlantic 10 play.— Jon Rothstein (@JonRothstein) January 27, 2018
Related Slideshow: URI Rams Basketball 2017-18 Projected Starting Lineup
E.C. Matthews - Redshirt Senior
E.C. Matthews returns for his redshirt senior season, now two years removed from ACL surgery. The Rams will need him to regain his form.
Matthews missed a couple of weeks during the preseason with knee tendinitis, but has since returned to practice and did play in URI's "secret scrimmage" against Harvard last week.
Prior to the start of this season, Matthews was named to the first preseason All-Atlantic 10 team during A-10 Media Day. He is also on the John Wooden Award Watch List.
Last season, Matthews averaged 15 points per game on 42% shooting from the field. In the A-10 Tournament, Matthews carried the Rams offense scoring 20, 19 and 19 points respectively in the three games to get the Rams the title.
Jared Terrell - Senior
Jared Terrell was named to second preseason All-Atlantic 10 team during A-10 Media Day.
He returns to the Rams after averaging 13 points, three rebounds and one steal per game in 2016-17.
Terrell will look to build off last season in which he shot 42 % from the field - the highest of his career.
Jeff Dowtin - Sophomore
Jeff Dowtin is coming off a freshman season in which he started the final 19 games, including both NCAA Tournament games.
He averaged six points and two assists in 22 minutes of action per game last season while also recording 17 steals on the year.
In URI's NCAA Tournament game against Creighton, Dowtin poured in a career-high 23 points on 6 of 8 shooting from the field.
Andre Berry - Senior
In two seasons with the Rams, Andre Berry has played in 30 games, but hasn't started any.
For his career, Berry has averaged 2.4 points and 1.6 rebounds in an averaged of six minutes per game.
Cyril Langevine - Sophomore
Cyril Langevine will make the start at one of the forward positions as the Rams will try to replace Hassan Martin, who they lost to graduation.
Last season, Langevine played in 35 games and started five games for URI averaging three point, five rebounds, and one block.
In URI's NCAA game against Oregon, Langevine had a near double-double with nine rebounds and nine points. He also had three steals.
- NEW: URI Basketball Picked to Finish 2nd in A-10
- Former URI Basketball Star Odom Reportedly Found Unconscious in Las Vegas
- URI Basketballl 2015-16 Season Preview
- URI Basketball Signs Head Coach Dan Hurley to Contract Extension
- The URI Basketball Schedule - What we Know, So Far
- URI Basketball Gets Verbal Commit From Cyril Langevine
- URI Basketball Gets Verbal Commitment From Michael Tertsea
- NEW: Bill Murray’s Son, Luke, Leaves URI Basketball For Xavier
- NEW: URI Basketball Lands Indiana Transfer Robinson
- URI Basketball Alums, Biruta, Baron and Munford, Set for NBA Summer League Action
- URI Basketball to be Featured as Part of ESPN’s Tip-Off Marathon
- URI Basketball Releases 2016-17 Non-Conference Schedule
- URI Basketball Ranked #24 in Preseason Coaches Poll
- URI Basketball Gets Commitment From 3-Star Guard Brendan Adams
- URI Basketball Gets Commitment From 4-Star Forward Jermaine Harris
- URI Basketball Picked 1st in A-10 Preseason Poll
- URI Basketball Edges Buffalo in Exhibition Game 80-72 in OT
- URI Basketball Set to Defend A-10 Championship in 2017-18
- NEW: Former URI Basketball Star Martin to Play NBA Summer League With Orlando
- 7 Things to Know About the Future of URI Basketball
- Matthews Returns as #23 URI Basketball Hosts Dartmouth in Season Opener Friday
- Brown and URI Basketball Set to Renew Rivalry at Ryan Center
- URI Basketball Slips to #23 in National Poll - See Top 25
- URI Basketball Moves Up to #21 in National Poll - See Top 25
- Brown, URI Basketball Set to Renew Rivalry at Ryan Center