Patriots’ Edelman to be on Cover of ESPN’s Body Issue
Friday, June 30, 2017
“I’ve got very ugly feet. The moment I got in the NFL -- when I started having to do these cone drills and learning how to run routes, and your feet are just constantly going in and sliding and hitting the back or the front of your toe -- my feet have just gotten so ugly. I've got a bunion on my right one. My toenails are all jacked up. I've got scars on the side of them. I'm embarrassed of them. I don't try to hide them, but I don't wear sandals, I'll tell you that right now,” Edelman told ESPN.
He will join fellow New England athlete Isaiah Thomas of the Celtics in the issue.
The issue features almost two dozen athletes and will be released on July 5.
Edelman With the Patriots
Edelman is set to enter his eighth season with the New England Patriots after being drafted by them in 2009.
He is coming off a 2016-17 season in which he made one of the plays of the year in the Super Bowl, a bobbling grab of a tipped Tom Brady pass.
The catch helped lead the Patriots to an overtime win and their fifth Super Bowl championship.
On the season, Edelman had 98 catches for 1,103 yards and three touchdowns. He averaged 11.3 yards per catch. It was his second career 1,000-yard season.
"This was a tough year. To go out and play 16 games is a testament to having a good group of people around you that give you the right things to work on. I kind of knew what I could do to rehab it and when to come back, but I think it's always that little bit of doubt that makes you work harder. There's that little thing in the back of your mind, the fear of failure. It drives me nuts. I think I hate losing more than I love winning," Edelman said.
Most recently, Edelman signed two year contract extension with the Patriots that will last through the 2019 season. According to NFL Network. the deal is worth $11 million, with $9 million in guarantees.
Related Slideshow: 16 Plays That Define the Patriots 2016 Season Regular Season - in Vines
LeGarrette Blount Leaps Over a Dolphins Player
LeGarrette Blount took a toss from rookie quarterback Jacoby Brissett and proceeded to make an Olympic hurdle type leap over Dolphins' defensive back Byron Maxwell and pick up the first down
Blount ran for 123 yards and a touchdown on 23 carries.
Garoppolo Dominates Miami
In the Patriots home opener against the rival Miami Dolphins, Garoppolo was dominant, completing 18 of 27 passes for 234 yards and three touchdowns, including this one to Danny Amendola.
Garoppolo would get injured just before halftime and the Patriots would hold on to win 31-24.
Hightower's big hit on Browns quarterback Cody Kessler knocked him out of the game. The next week, Hightower would sack Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton in the end zone for a safety and change the momentum of that game.
So far this season, Hightower has 1.5 sacks, one safety, 14 solo tackles and one pass defensed in six games played.
Tom Brady Plays First Game Back at Gillette
Brady made his return to the Patriots in the previous game on the road against Cleveland, but his first game back at Gillette Stadium came against the Bengals.
Brady hit running back James White for his first touchdown pass of the day and New England won 35-17.
He finished the game completing 29 of 35 passes for 376 yards and three touchdowns.
Gronkowski Injured on Hit by Seattle's Earl Thomas
Near the end of the 2nd quarter of the Patriots game against Seattle, Earl Thomas hit Rob Gronkowski square in the chest. Just two weeks later, it would be announced that Gronkowski would be out for the season.
The Patriots lost to Seattle 31-24
Brady Nearly Fumbles Against Jets, Throws Touchdown to Mitchell
Trailing 10-3 and on the Jets five-yard line, Brady fumbled the snap picked it up and found Malcolm Mitchell in the back of the end zone for a touchdown to tie the game at ten following a Gostkowski extra point.
The Patriots would go on to win 22-17.
Shea McClellin Blocks Ravens Field Goal
The Ravens threatened to take the lead, 3-2, midway through the first quarter on a field goal attempt by kicker Justin Tucker, but New England's Shea McClellin jumped over the center and got the block. The Patriots offense scored a touchdown on their ensuing possession to take a 9-0 lead.
The Patriots would go on to win the game 30-23.
Blount Breaks Curtis Martin's Record for Rushing TDs in a Season
Running back LeGarrette Blount recorded his 15th rushing touchdown of the season in the Patriots win over Denver. With the score, he passed Curtis Martin for most rushing touchdowns in a season.
The Patriots beat Denver 16-3 to clinch AFC East.
McCourty's Hit on DeMaryius Thomas
On a fourth and 2, Devin McCourty put an end to Denver's come come back hopes with this hit on DeMaryius Thomas that forced him to drop the ball.
Had Thomas made the catch, the Broncos would have likely scored on the drive, making the final minutes a little more nervewracking.
Matt Lengel Catches First Touchdown Pass
Lengel came over to the Patriots from the Bengals practice squad and had never caught a touchdown pass in his career.
Already up 13-0, Tom Brady hit Lengel over the middle for an 18-yard touchdown pass to give the Patriots a 20-0 lead. It was Lengel's first catch, first target, and first touchdown.
The Patriots would go on to beat the Jets 41-3.
Michael Floyd's Block on Lippitt to Spring Edelman Against Miami
Michael Floyd's block on Miami's Tony Lippit to spring Julian Edelman's 77 yard touchdown is one of the greatest blocks in Patriots history.
The Patriots beat the Dolphins 35-14 to clinch the top seed in the AFC heading into the playoffs.
- NFL Commissioner Goodell to Attend Patriots Season Opener at Gillette Stadium
- NEW: Brown Grad Develin Signs 2 Year Deal With Patriots
- Defensive End Chris Long Will Not Return to Patriots
- Patriots Trademark “Blitz For Six” Phrase for Next Season
- Patriots’ Jones Calls Rookie Season “Painful” & an “Embarrassment”
- Patriots’ Butler to Have Life Story Told in Movie Titled “The Secondary”
- Patriots Receiver Mitchell Seeks Publisher for Children’s Books
- New Orleans Saints Will Not Sign Patriots’ Butler to Offer Sheet
- NEW: Patriots’ Gronkowski Gets in Ring at Wrestlemania
- 5 Things to Know About the Patriots Heading into the 2017 NFL Draft
- Patriots 2017 Regular Season Schedule Released
- Patriots Make Trades and Add 2 Players in 3rd Round of NFL Draft
- Patriots Trade for Kansas City TE O’Shaughnessy, Add 2 Players in Final Day of NFL Draft
- Patriots Sign Wide Receiver Andrew Hawkins to One-Year Deal
- Patriots’ Gronkowski Crashes Spicer’s White House Press Briefing
- NEW: Patriots’ Butler Signs Restricted Free Agent Tender
- Former Steeler Clark Threatens to Quit ESPN Job if Patriots Trade for Sherman
- Brady’s Recovered Super Bowl 49 Jersey to be Displayed in Patriots Hall of Fame
- Patriots 2017 Preseason Schedule Announced
- NEW: Former Patriots Star Hernandez Cleared of Double Murder Charges
- Hightower Returns to Patriots on 4-Year Deal
- Patriots Aquire Receiver Brandin Cooks From Saints for Top Draft Pick
- LIVE: Patriots’ Light Talks Belichick, Keel Vodka, & Charity Hockey Game on Saturday at PC
- Patriots to Visit White House on April 19
- Former Patriots Tackle O’Callaghan Comes Out as Gay