URI’s Matthews Out 4-6 Weeks With Fractured Wrist
Wednesday, November 15, 2017
Matthews suffered the injury in the closing minutes of the game while going up for a layup and landing on his wrist upon coming down.
Matthews stayed down on the court for several minutes before getting up and going to the locker room. He returned to the game after only missing about a minute of action.
Prior to getting injured, Matthews poured in 18 points in 30 minutes of action. Of his 18 points, 15 of them came in the second half.
URI returns to action on Sunday, November 19 when they host Holy Cross at the Ryan Center.
Matthews Injury History
Matthews will miss extended time for the second time in his college career.
In 2015-16, he suffered a season-ending knee injury in the first half of the first game of the year, forcing him to take a medical redshirt and allowing him to play this season.
Leading up to this season, Matthews missed time in the preseason due to knee tendinitis.
Filling in for Matthews
The guard position is the spot that URI is deepest at.
The Rams will use a combination of Jared Terrell, Jarvis Garrett, Jeff Dowtin, Stanford Robinson and freshman Fatts Russell to fill the spot left my Matthews.
URI's E.C. Matthews is out 4-6 weeks with a left wrist fracture, per Dan Hurley. Happened last night versus Nevada.— Jon Rothstein (@JonRothstein) November 14, 2017
URI's EC Matthews is out 4-6 weeks with a left wrist fracture, Dan Hurley told ESPN. Kid has had tough luck with injuries.— Jeff Goodman (@GoodmanESPN) November 14, 2017
Related Slideshow: URI Rams Basketball 2017-18 Projected Starting Lineup
E.C. Matthews - Redshirt Senior
E.C. Matthews returns for his redshirt senior season, now two years removed from ACL surgery. The Rams will need him to regain his form.
Matthews missed a couple of weeks during the preseason with knee tendinitis, but has since returned to practice and did play in URI's "secret scrimmage" against Harvard last week.
Prior to the start of this season, Matthews was named to the first preseason All-Atlantic 10 team during A-10 Media Day. He is also on the John Wooden Award Watch List.
Last season, Matthews averaged 15 points per game on 42% shooting from the field. In the A-10 Tournament, Matthews carried the Rams offense scoring 20, 19 and 19 points respectively in the three games to get the Rams the title.
Jared Terrell - Senior
Jared Terrell was named to second preseason All-Atlantic 10 team during A-10 Media Day.
He returns to the Rams after averaging 13 points, three rebounds and one steal per game in 2016-17.
Terrell will look to build off last season in which he shot 42 % from the field - the highest of his career.
Jeff Dowtin - Sophomore
Jeff Dowtin is coming off a freshman season in which he started the final 19 games, including both NCAA Tournament games.
He averaged six points and two assists in 22 minutes of action per game last season while also recording 17 steals on the year.
In URI's NCAA Tournament game against Creighton, Dowtin poured in a career-high 23 points on 6 of 8 shooting from the field.
Cyril Langevine - Sophomore
Cyril Langevine will make the start at one of the forward positions as the Rams will try to replace Hassan Martin, who they lost to graduation.
Last season, Langevine played in 35 games and started five games for URI averaging three point, five rebounds, and one block.
In URI's NCAA game against Oregon, Langevine had a near double-double with nine rebounds and nine points. He also had three steals.
- Former URI Basketball Star Odom Reportedly Found Unconscious in Las Vegas
- URI Basketball Gets Verbal Commit From Cyril Langevine
- NEW: URI Basketball Picked to Finish 2nd in A-10
- URI Basketballl 2015-16 Season Preview
- URI Basketball Signs Head Coach Dan Hurley to Contract Extension
- URI Basketball Gets Verbal Commitment From Michael Tertsea
- URI Basketball to be Featured as Part of ESPN’s Tip-Off Marathon
- URI Basketball Signs Guard McGlynn For 2015-16 Season
- NEW: Bill Murray’s Son, Luke, Leaves URI Basketball For Xavier
- NEW: URI Basketball Lands Indiana Transfer Robinson
- URI Basketball Alums, Biruta, Baron and Munford, Set for NBA Summer League Action
- The URI Basketball Schedule - What we Know, So Far
- URI Basketball Releases 2016-17 Non-Conference Schedule
- URI Basketball Gets Commitment From 4-Star Forward Jermaine Harris
- NEW: Former URI Basketball Star Martin to Play NBA Summer League With Orlando
- URI Basketball Gets Commitment From 3-Star Guard Brendan Adams
- URI Basketball Picked 1st in A-10 Preseason Poll
- URI Basketball Edges Buffalo in Exhibition Game 80-72 in OT
- 7 Things to Know About the Future of URI Basketball
- URI Basketball Moves Up to #21 in National Poll - See Top 25
- URI Basketball Ranked #24 in Preseason Coaches Poll
- Matthews Returns as #23 URI Basketball Hosts Dartmouth in Season Opener Friday
- Brown and URI Basketball Set to Renew Rivalry at Ryan Center
- URI Basketball Slips to #23 in National Poll - See Top 25
- URI Basketball Set to Defend A-10 Championship in 2017-18