NEW: URI’s E.C. Matthews Out for Season
Sunday, November 15, 2015
Read the Statement Below
The injury I sustained on Friday night vs. American will unfortunately keep me from playing the rest of this season. While the news has been a lot to process in such a short period of time, I know that it is a temporary setback and I will be back stronger and hungrier than ever before. Whether it is a rehab or physical therapy session, I will fight to get better everyday. This is a new challenge and I am up for it.
I plan on using this setback as an opportunity to continue to grow as a student, a leader, and a man. I will be at every study hall, every practice, every film session, every game - no different than before.
I will need my brothers - my teammates and coaches - to help me through this. And I want them to know how much I love them and I will be there for anything they need. I understand the challenge of this journey and I am built to conquer this obstacle.
Most of all, I want to say to our most loyal Rhody fans - our students and all those who support us day-in and day-out - I want to see you all here at the Ryan Center. Starting with our game with Valpo on Tuesday, be here and be loud. Get behind our team like never before - we haven't stopped our HUNT.
Matthews was injured midway through the first half of URI's season opener against American at the Ryan Center when he crumpled to the ground and grabbed his knee while driving to the basket.
Matthews was helped off the floor, unable to put any pressure on his leg and did not return to the game. Matthews was just three points shy of the 1,000 career points milestone.
E.C. Matthews Career
In his URI career, Matthews has averaged 16 points, four rebounds and two assists in 33 minutes per game. Prior to this season, Matthews was named to the Jerry West Award watch list for the second straight season.
URI Set to Play On
After a season opening win, URI returns to action on Tuesday, November 17th at 10 a.m. when they host Valparaiso at the Ryan Center. The game is part of the ESPN Tip-Off Marathon.
- URI Professor Besio Awarded $6 Million Grant For Biomedical Research
- Brown Wins 5th Straight Governor’s Cup, Beat URI 41-31
- 2 URI Football Players Arrested, Charged With Assault and Disorderly Conduct
- 10 Things to Watch During the 2015-2016 Boston Bruins Season
- Bryant and Brown Hit the Road While URI Looks For 1st Win
- URI and Brown Set for 100th Meeting on Saturday Night at Brown Stadium
- RI Commerce Picks 2 Out-of-State-Firms to Brand and Promote RI Tourism
- URI Basketball Gets Verbal Commit From Cyril Langevine
- Langevin is Skeptical on Chinese Part of Cybersecurity Agreement
- Bryant, Brown and URI Hit the Road Looking For Wins
- URI Football Falls 27-17 to Maine
- Newport Manners & Etiquette: Burial Mishap + Halloween
- Former URI Basketball Star Odom Reportedly Found Unconscious in Las Vegas
- Bryant Faces Wagner, Brown Faces Yale and URI hosts Villanova
- Facebook Reports 11.3% Increase in Revenue During Third Quarter
- NEW: Missouri President Wolfe Resigns
- URI Basketballl 2015-16 Season Preview
- PC vs. URI Ranked as Top 30 Non-Conference Game in Country
- URI & Bryant Golf Coaches Set to Enter RI Golf Hall of Fame
- URI and Bryant Hit the Road, Brown Returns Home Red Hot
- Lamar Odom’s Greatest Game at URI
- URI, Bryant and Brown All Stay Home for Key Conference Games
- NEW: URI Basketball Picked to Finish 2nd in A-10
- URI Names New Science Center After ChemArt Founder Beaupre
- Five Takeaways From URI’s 65-42 Win Over American
- NEW: URI’s E.C. Matthews Selected to Elite Adidas Nations Global Camp
- URI Freshman Basketball Star E.C. Matthews Named Atlantic 10 Co-Rookie of the Year