URI Cruises Past George Mason 83-64 in A-10 Opener
Sunday, December 31, 2017
It's Rhode Island 80, George Mason 55 after this dunk by E.C. Matthews! 5:40 to go in the game... pic.twitter.com/A0Bi8xMZ4R— Rhody MBB (@RhodyMBB) December 30, 2017
“I love the way we played tonight. I thought we played at a pretty high level throughout the game. It’s nice to have that type of control early on, especially in a conference opener,” said URI head coach Dan Hurley in his post-game press conference.
The Rams got 18 points and five rebounds from E.C. Matthews and 16 points, eight rebounds and four assists from Jared Terrell.
The win improves URI to 9-3 on the season and 1-0 in the A-10.
URI Takes Control Early
The Rams took control right from the opening tip, starting the game on an 11-0 run that was capped off by a Jeff Dowtin three with 17:35 to play.
The Rams would take a 16-4 lead on an Andre Berry layup before George Mason would go on a 10-3 run to cut Rhode Island’s lead to 19-14 with 13:05 to play in the half.
URI would go on a 13-0 run capped off by a Terrell dunk with 7:43 to play in the game to give the Rams a commanding 32-14 lead in the first half.
URI’s defense would hold George Mason scoreless for over six minutes during the run.
George Mason would get as close as 11, 33-22, before the Rams would take a 44-26 lead into the break.
In the second half, the Rams would lead by as many as 32 points, their largest lead over any team this season, before cruising to the win.
The Rams return to action on Wednesday, January 3 when they host La Salle at the Ryan Center.
Game time is set for 7 p.m.
Related Slideshow: URI Rams Basketball 2017-18 Projected Starting Lineup
E.C. Matthews - Redshirt Senior
E.C. Matthews returns for his redshirt senior season, now two years removed from ACL surgery. The Rams will need him to regain his form.
Matthews missed a couple of weeks during the preseason with knee tendinitis, but has since returned to practice and did play in URI's "secret scrimmage" against Harvard last week.
Prior to the start of this season, Matthews was named to the first preseason All-Atlantic 10 team during A-10 Media Day. He is also on the John Wooden Award Watch List.
Last season, Matthews averaged 15 points per game on 42% shooting from the field. In the A-10 Tournament, Matthews carried the Rams offense scoring 20, 19 and 19 points respectively in the three games to get the Rams the title.
Jared Terrell - Senior
Jared Terrell was named to second preseason All-Atlantic 10 team during A-10 Media Day.
He returns to the Rams after averaging 13 points, three rebounds and one steal per game in 2016-17.
Terrell will look to build off last season in which he shot 42 % from the field - the highest of his career.
Jeff Dowtin - Sophomore
Jeff Dowtin is coming off a freshman season in which he started the final 19 games, including both NCAA Tournament games.
He averaged six points and two assists in 22 minutes of action per game last season while also recording 17 steals on the year.
In URI's NCAA Tournament game against Creighton, Dowtin poured in a career-high 23 points on 6 of 8 shooting from the field.
Cyril Langevine - Sophomore
Cyril Langevine will make the start at one of the forward positions as the Rams will try to replace Hassan Martin, who they lost to graduation.
Last season, Langevine played in 35 games and started five games for URI averaging three point, five rebounds, and one block.
In URI's NCAA game against Oregon, Langevine had a near double-double with nine rebounds and nine points. He also had three steals.
- NEW: URI Basketball Picked to Finish 2nd in A-10
- Former URI Basketball Star Odom Reportedly Found Unconscious in Las Vegas
- URI Basketballl 2015-16 Season Preview
- URI Basketball Signs Head Coach Dan Hurley to Contract Extension
- The URI Basketball Schedule - What we Know, So Far
- URI Basketball Gets Verbal Commit From Cyril Langevine
- URI Basketball Gets Verbal Commitment From Michael Tertsea
- NEW: Bill Murray’s Son, Luke, Leaves URI Basketball For Xavier
- NEW: URI Basketball Lands Indiana Transfer Robinson
- URI Basketball Alums, Biruta, Baron and Munford, Set for NBA Summer League Action
- URI Basketball to be Featured as Part of ESPN’s Tip-Off Marathon
- URI Basketball Releases 2016-17 Non-Conference Schedule
- URI Basketball Ranked #24 in Preseason Coaches Poll
- URI Basketball Gets Commitment From 3-Star Guard Brendan Adams
- URI Basketball Gets Commitment From 4-Star Forward Jermaine Harris
- URI Basketball Picked 1st in A-10 Preseason Poll
- URI Basketball Edges Buffalo in Exhibition Game 80-72 in OT
- URI Basketball Set to Defend A-10 Championship in 2017-18
- NEW: Former URI Basketball Star Martin to Play NBA Summer League With Orlando
- 7 Things to Know About the Future of URI Basketball
- Matthews Returns as #23 URI Basketball Hosts Dartmouth in Season Opener Friday
- Brown and URI Basketball Set to Renew Rivalry at Ryan Center
- URI Basketball Slips to #23 in National Poll - See Top 25
- URI Basketball Moves Up to #21 in National Poll - See Top 25
- Brown, URI Basketball Set to Renew Rivalry at Ryan Center