Spain’s Team MAPFRE Wins Leg 8 Into Newport by 1 Minute - SEE PHOTOS
Wednesday, May 09, 2018
After 5,700 nautical miles, Spain’s team MAPFRE won leg eight of the 2018 Volvo Ocean Race, which finished in Newport, by one minute over Team Brunel.
The win vaults MAPFRE to the top of the overall race standings with just three legs left.
MAPFRE came from behind over the final few hours to overtake Team Brunel who had led most of the way.
Rhode Island’s Vestas 11th Hour Racing finished in third.
Volvo Ocean Race in Newport
The fleet will remain in Newport through May 20 with the formal race village opening scheduled for 4 p.m. later today on May 8.
The In-Port Race is scheduled for May 19 and the Leg 9 Start to Cardiff, Wales is set for Sunday, May 20.
See Photos of the Newport Stopover Below
Related Slideshow: Volvo Ocean Race Newport Stopover - May 8, 2018
- Spain’s Team MAPFRE Takes Leg 3 of Volvo Ocean Race
- Volvo Ocean Race Week 9 Highlights
- Dongfeng, AkzoNobel Take Commanding Lead in Leg 4 of Volvo Ocean Race
- Man Falls Overboard During Leg 4 of Volvo Ocean Race
- China’s Sun Hung Kai/Scallywag Wins Leg 4 of Volvo Ocean Race
- Mt. Gay Rum to Sponsor Volvo Ocean Race Newport Stopover
- Spain’s Team MAPFRE Takes Leg 2 of Volvo Ocean Race
- Team USA Announced for 2017-18 Volvo Ocean Race
- 2017-18 Volvo Ocean Race Kicks Off in Spain, Comes to Newport May 8
- Top 10 Action Images from 2017-18 Volvo Ocean Race
- Volvo Ocean Race Names Brisius, Salén as President & Co-President
- Leg 6 of 2018 Volvo Ocean Race Kicks Off
- Volvo Ocean Race Team Discovers Abandoned Ship in Pacific Ocean During Leg 6
- Volvo Ocean Race Newport Stopover to Contribute to Fight Against Plastic Littering
- Sail Newport to Kick-Off Countdown to Volvo Ocean Race Stopover With Pep Rally
- Sail Newport’s Read Previews Volvo Ocean Race Coming to Newport on LIVE
- Volvo Ocean Race Boats Set to Arrive in Newport Monday Night
- RI’s Vestas 11th Hour Racing Mast Breaks During Leg 7 of Volvo Ocean Race
- Man Falls Overboard During Leg 7 of Volvo Ocean Race
- RI’s Vestas 11th Hour Racing Doesn’t Sail, AkzoNobel Wins Leg 6 of Volvo Ocean Race
- Volvo Ocean Race Generates Nearly 100M Euros in Spain, How Much in Newport?
- Commerce RI’s Salamano Talks About the Economic Impact of Volvo Ocean Race
- RI’s Vestas 11th Hour Racing Returns to Action in Leg 7 of Volvo Ocean Race
- Volvo Ocean Race Newport Stopover Schedule - SEE PHOTOS