video: Gronkowski Scores 69th Career Touchdown, Patriots Roll Buffalo 41-25
Monday, October 31, 2016
"Definitely an honor to come home to my home town to get that record,to hold the franchise record for most touchdowns is unbelievable. Stanley Morgan actually called me to congratulate me, he was an awesome player, an awesome guy. It was pretty cool," said Gronkowski after the game.
Gronkowski's touchdown came near the end of the first half on a 53 yard strike over the middle from quarterback Tom Brady giving the Patriots a 21-10 lead.
The win moves the Patriots move to 7-1 on the season and a three game lead in the AFC East. Buffalo drops to 4-4 on the season.
Patriots in Control
Trailing 3-0, the Patriots offense scored 14 straight points with both scores coming on third down plays.
New England’s first score came with 4:35 left to play in the first quarter when Brady scrambled away from pressure found Danny Amendola near the pilon for a nine yard touchdown pass to put the Patriots up 7-3 after a Gostkowski extra point split the uprights.
After the Patriots defense forced a three and out from the Bills, the Patriots were faced with a a third and 13 from their own 47 yard line after Marcus Cannon was called for being an ineligible receiver.
Brady took the snap and fired down the left side to former Buffalo Bill Chris Hogan for a 53 yard touchdown pass to put the Patriots up 14-3 after the Gostkowski extra point was good.
Stephon Gilmore, the loudest Bill of the week, was torched by Chris Hogan for a 53-yard TD.— Jeff Howe (@jeffphowe) October 30, 2016
The Patriots went five for five on third down in the first quarter.
Following Gronkowski's record breaking touchdown, Gostkowski would convert a 53 yard field goal with three seconds left in the half to give the Patriots a commanding 24-10 lead at the break.
Patriots Blow it Open in 2nd Half
The Patriots blew the game open in the first minute of the second half after Amendola took the opening kick off 73 yards to the Buffalo 24 yard line.
Two plays later, Brady found Julian Edelman for a 12 yard touchdown pass, putting the Patriots up 31-10 after Gostkowski's extra point.
After Buffalo quarterback Tyrod Taylor made a 26 yard touchdown run to give Buffalo life in the third quarter, Patriots running back LeGarrette Blount would add his ninth rushing touchdown of the season to put the Patriots back in firm control up 38-17.
Brady completed 22 of 33 passes for 315 yards and four touchdowns, while Gronkowski had five catches for 105 yards and a touchdown.
Tom Brady's on pace to throw for 3957 yards, 36 touchdowns and 0 picks in 12 games, with a 133.9 rating.— Albert Breer (@AlbertBreer) October 30, 2016
Hogan hauled in four catches for 91 yards and a touchdown in his return to Buffalo.
The Patriots have a bye week next week.
They return to action on Sunday, November 13 when they host the Seattle Seahawks on Sunday Night Football.
Related Slideshow: 10 Reasons Why Gronkowski is the Most Fun Athlete
Here are 10 reasons why Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski is the most fun athlete in pro sports.
- Patriots Edge Arizona 23-21 in Season Opener
- What to Watch For: Patriots vs. Cardinals
- Patriots Ranked 2nd Most Valuable Franchise in NFL
- What to Watch For: Dolphins at Patriots
- Patriots Beat Dolphins 31-24, Lose Garoppolo to Injury
- Patriots’ Gronkowski Out Sunday vs. Arizona
- Gronkowski, Hightower Named Patriots Captains for First Time
- Patriots’ Ninkovich Suspended 4 Games for Use of Banned Substance
- Patriots Cut Dobson, 19 Others to Get to 53-Man Roster
- Patriots Sign 8 Players to Practice Squad
- Patriots Trade Draft Pick to Eagles for Cornerback Eric Rowe
- Patriots Shutout Texans 27-0 Behind 3rd String QB Brissett
- Steelers QB Roethlisberger Officially Ruled Out of Sunday’s Game vs Patriots
- Patriots Over Come Slow Start to Beat Cincinnati 35-17 at Gillette Stadium
- What to Watch For: Patriots at Steelers
- NEW: Patriots Win Third Straight, Beat Pittsburgh 27-16
- Win 4 Tickets to the Patriots Game Versus the Bills
- What to Watch For: Bengals vs. Patriots
- Brady Returns, Patriots Roll Cleveland 33-13
- Patriots Quarterback Update: Both Garoppolo, Brissett Active in Practice
- What to Watch For: Bills vs. Patriots
- Patriots Shut Out by Buffalo 16-0 at Gillette Stadium
- What to Watch For: Patriots vs. Cleveland
- What to Watch For: Patriots at Bills