Matthews’ 20 Points Leads URI Past Florida Gulf Coast 80-60
Thursday, December 28, 2017
Fatts Russell from the perimeter! ����3⃣ pic.twitter.com/26AZJQW7xX— Rhody MBB (@RhodyMBB) December 22, 2017
University of Rhode Island men's basketball team to an 80-60 win over Florida Gulf Coast (FGCU) on Wednesday night at the Ryan Center.
Matthews' 20 points came on 5 of 9 shooting from the field and 3 of 6 from three.
“On a game two days after Christmas, you’re not really sure what you’re going to get out of your team, so I’m thrilled with the win tonight. I thought we came out and did our jobs. This was a great way to end our non-conference play,” said URI head coach Dan Hurley in his post game press conference.
The Rams finish their non-conference schedule with a record of 8-3 and 7-0 at home. URI opens A-10 play this weekend.
FGCU falls to 7-8 overall.
Matthews Sparks URI to Win
The Rams trailed FGCU 32-28 with 3:15 left to play in the first half before Matthews scored eight straight points, including two threes, to put Rhode Island up 36-32 with 1:04 to play.
Andre Berry would cap off the 10-0 run with a jumper with 20 seconds to play to give the Rams a 38-32 lead going into the break.
URI carried their momentum into the second, opening the half on a 6-2 run to take a 45-36 lead following a Matthews layup with 17:18 to play.
FGCU would not get closer than eight points the rest of the way as the Rams extended their lead to 20 with 6:25 to go after Jared Terrell knocked down a three.
Terrell finished the game with 18 points, six assists, and four rebounds.
URI opens A-10 play on Saturday, December 30 when they host George Mason at the Ryan Center.
Game time is set for 4 p.m.
Rhode Island beats a really good Florida Gulf Coast team by 20 just days after Eagles took Wichita State to the limit. Rams have the deepest perimeter in the sport.— Jon Rothstein (@JonRothstein) December 28, 2017
Related Slideshow: URI Rams Basketball 2017-18 Projected Starting Lineup
E.C. Matthews - Redshirt Senior
E.C. Matthews returns for his redshirt senior season, now two years removed from ACL surgery. The Rams will need him to regain his form.
Matthews missed a couple of weeks during the preseason with knee tendinitis, but has since returned to practice and did play in URI's "secret scrimmage" against Harvard last week.
Prior to the start of this season, Matthews was named to the first preseason All-Atlantic 10 team during A-10 Media Day. He is also on the John Wooden Award Watch List.
Last season, Matthews averaged 15 points per game on 42% shooting from the field. In the A-10 Tournament, Matthews carried the Rams offense scoring 20, 19 and 19 points respectively in the three games to get the Rams the title.
Jared Terrell - Senior
Jared Terrell was named to second preseason All-Atlantic 10 team during A-10 Media Day.
He returns to the Rams after averaging 13 points, three rebounds and one steal per game in 2016-17.
Terrell will look to build off last season in which he shot 42 % from the field - the highest of his career.
Jeff Dowtin - Sophomore
Jeff Dowtin is coming off a freshman season in which he started the final 19 games, including both NCAA Tournament games.
He averaged six points and two assists in 22 minutes of action per game last season while also recording 17 steals on the year.
In URI's NCAA Tournament game against Creighton, Dowtin poured in a career-high 23 points on 6 of 8 shooting from the field.
Andre Berry - Senior
In two seasons with the Rams, Andre Berry has played in 30 games, but hasn't started any.
For his career, Berry has averaged 2.4 points and 1.6 rebounds in an averaged of six minutes per game.
Cyril Langevine - Sophomore
Cyril Langevine will make the start at one of the forward positions as the Rams will try to replace Hassan Martin, who they lost to graduation.
Last season, Langevine played in 35 games and started five games for URI averaging three point, five rebounds, and one block.
In URI's NCAA game against Oregon, Langevine had a near double-double with nine rebounds and nine points. He also had three steals.
- NEW: URI Basketball Picked to Finish 2nd in A-10
- Former URI Basketball Star Odom Reportedly Found Unconscious in Las Vegas
- URI Basketballl 2015-16 Season Preview
- URI Basketball Signs Head Coach Dan Hurley to Contract Extension
- The URI Basketball Schedule - What we Know, So Far
- URI Basketball Gets Verbal Commit From Cyril Langevine
- URI Basketball Gets Verbal Commitment From Michael Tertsea
- NEW: Bill Murray’s Son, Luke, Leaves URI Basketball For Xavier
- NEW: URI Basketball Lands Indiana Transfer Robinson
- URI Basketball Alums, Biruta, Baron and Munford, Set for NBA Summer League Action
- URI Basketball to be Featured as Part of ESPN’s Tip-Off Marathon
- URI Basketball Releases 2016-17 Non-Conference Schedule
- URI Basketball Ranked #24 in Preseason Coaches Poll
- URI Basketball Gets Commitment From 3-Star Guard Brendan Adams
- URI Basketball Gets Commitment From 4-Star Forward Jermaine Harris
- URI Basketball Picked 1st in A-10 Preseason Poll
- URI Basketball Edges Buffalo in Exhibition Game 80-72 in OT
- URI Basketball Set to Defend A-10 Championship in 2017-18
- NEW: Former URI Basketball Star Martin to Play NBA Summer League With Orlando
- 7 Things to Know About the Future of URI Basketball
- Matthews Returns as #23 URI Basketball Hosts Dartmouth in Season Opener Friday
- Brown and URI Basketball Set to Renew Rivalry at Ryan Center
- URI Basketball Slips to #23 in National Poll - See Top 25
- URI Basketball Moves Up to #21 in National Poll - See Top 25
- Brown, URI Basketball Set to Renew Rivalry at Ryan Center