UPDATE: Former PC Basketball Star Bentil Waived by Pacers, Sent to D-League
Tuesday, October 25, 2016
The terms of the deal have not been disclosed.
The Pacers begin their NBA season on Wednesday, October 26 when they host the Dallas Mavericks.
Bentil was released by the Boston Celtics on Friday, October 21, after they drafted him with the 51st overall pick in the 2016 NBA Draft.
While with the Celtics, Bentil appeared in three preseason games, and averaged five points and 4.3 rebounds per game.
Bentil at Providence
After averaging just 6.4 points per game as a freshman, Bentil averaged 21.2 points per game overall and 22.9 points per game in conference play, making him the leading scorer in the Big East.
Bentil is the seventh Friar all-time to lead the league in scoring and the fourth Friar in the last six seasons to do it.
Bentil was named the Big East's Most Improved Player, joining Kadeem Batts (2013) and Herbert Hill (2007) as Friar recipients of the Big East Most Improved Player Award.
Related Slideshow: Top 10 Providence College NBA Draft Picks of All-Time
MarShon Brook was drafted 25th overall in the 2011 NBA Draft by the Boston Celtics before they traded him to the New Jersey Nets. Brooks played 3 seasons in the NBA and is currently playing over seas.
In his career, Brooks played for the Nets, Celtics and Lakers and was named to the NBA All-Rookie 2nd Team in 2012.
In his rookie season with the Nets, Brooks averaged 12.6 points per game.
Simpkins was drafted 21st overall by the Chicago Bulls in the 1994 NBA Draft and played 8 seasons in the league.
Simpkins averaged 4.2 points per game in his NBA Career playing for three teams including the Bulls, Golden State Warriors and Atlanta Hawks.
Simpkins won three NBA Championshps while with the Bulls with a little help from Michael Jordan.
Murdock was drafted 21 overall by the Utah Jazz in the 1991 NBA Draft and played 9 seasons in the league.
In his career, Murdock averaged 10.1 points and 4.9 rebounds per game while playing for 7 teams including the Jazz, Milwaukee Bucks, Vancouver Grizzlies, Denver Nuggets, Miami Heat, New Jersey Nets and Lost Angeles Clippers.
Williams was drafted 14th overall by the Boston Celtics in the 1995 NBA Draft and played 12 seasons in the league.
In his career, Williams averaged 8.6 points and 3.3 rebounds per game while playing for 7 different teams including the Celtics, Denver Nuggets, Cleveland Cavaliers, New Jersey Nets, Toronot Raptors, San Antonio Spurs and Charlotte bobcats.
Croshere was drafted 12th overall by the Indiana Pacers in the 1997 NBA Draft and played 12 seasons in the league
In his career, he played for 5 teams including the Pacers, Dallas Mavericks, Golden State Warriors, Milwaukee Bucks and San Antonio Spurs.
Croshere averaged 6.8 points and 4 rebounds per game in the NBA.
Photo: Golden State Warriors
Thorpe was drafted 9th overall in the 1984 NBA Draft by the Kansas City Kings and played 17 seasons in the league.
Thorpe won the NBA Championship in 1994 with the Houston Rockets and averaged 14 points and 8.2 rebounds per game in his career.
Thorpe played for 8 teams in his career, including the Rockets, Portland Trail Blazers, Detroit Pistons, Vancouver Grizzlies, Washington Wizards, Miami Heat and Charlotte Hornets.
Wilkens was drafted 6th overall in the 1960 NBA Draft by the St.Louis Hawks and played 15 seasons in the NBA.
Wilkens averaged 16.5 points, 4.7 rebounds and 6.7 assists per game in his NBA Career while playing for the Hawks, Seattle SuperSonics, Cleveland Cavaliers and Portland Trail Blazers.
Wilkens was inducted into the basketball Hall of Fame as a player in 1989 and then as a coach in 1998.
Ernie D was drafted 3rd overall by the Buffalo Braves in the 1973 NBA Draft and played 5 seasons in the league before suffering a knee injury.
DiGregorio played for the Braves, the LA Lakers and the Boston Celtics and averaged 9.6 points per game and 5.1 assists per game.
He still holds the NBA rookie record for assists in a single game with 25.
Marvin Barnes was drafted 2nd overall in the 1974 draft by the Philadelphia 76ers.
However, he was also drafted 2nd overall by the Spirits of St. Louis in the 1974 ABA Draft which is what he opted for.
Barnes did end up playing in the NBA from 1976-1980 where he averaged 9.2 points per game and 5.5 rebounds per game. Barnes played for the Pistons, the Buffalo Braves, Boston Celtics and San Diego Clippers in the NBA.
Jimmy Walker was taken with the #1 overall pick by the Detroit Pistons in the 1967 draft.
Walker played 9 seasons in the NBA from 1967-1976 and averaged 16.7 points per game in the league, making the all-star team twice.
Walker also played for the Houston Rockets and Kansas City Kings in his career.
- PC’s Dunn & Bentil Named Defensive Player & Most Improved in Big East
- Bentil’s 38 Points Helps PC Roll Butler, Advance to Big East Semi-Final
- PC’s Dunn & Bentil Named to All-Big East First Team
- 42 Points From Bentil Not Enough, PC Falls to Marquette
- SEE IT AGAIN: Ben Bentil Wins Game for PC
- Is Ben Bentil Out Playing Kris Dunn in The Big East?
- Bentil’s Need to Improve His Defense May Bring Him Back to PC Say Experts
- PC’s Ben Bentil to Test NBA Draft Waters
- PC Basketball Sees Both Dunn & Bentil Drafted by the NBA
- Former PC Star Ben Bentil Signs 3-Year Deal With Celtics
- NEW: PC’s Ben Bentil Drafted 51st Overall by the Boston Celtics
- See Where the Experts Project PC’s Dunn & Bentil in the NBA Draft
- PC Basketball’s Ben Bentil to Stay in NBA Draft
- Former PC Basketball Star Bentil Released by Boston Celtics
- Friars Drop 2nd Straight, Fall 69-60 to Boston College
- Friars Down UC Irvine 1-0, Advance to Elite Eight
- Friars Soccer Headed to Final Four!
- Bears Stun Friars 77-67 at Dunkin Donuts Center
- Friars Soccer to Face UCLA in NCAA Final Four
- Turnovers Prove Costly For #25 Friars, Fall 58-38 to #1 Kentucky
- #25 Friars Grind Out 72-66 Win Over Yale, Improve to 6-0
- Henton Goes For 38, Friars Edge Irish 75-74
- Friars Soccer Downs Dartmouth 3-0, Advances to Third Round
- Friars Basketball Back in the Top 25
- #25 Friars Hit With Injury Bug, Dunn and Lindsey Out
- Friars Halt Three Game Skid, Beat Rams 68-60
- Second Half Surge Helps Friars Roll Stony Brook, 79-61
- Friars Seek 1st NCAA Tourney Win in 17 Years vs. Dayton
- PC Friars Given 6 Seed in 2015 NCAA Tournament
- PC Friars Hockey Heads to Frozen Four
- The PC Friars Win The National Championship!
- Inside the Numbers: #12 PC Friars Entering Big East Play
- PC Friars Return to the Top 25
- Friars Dunn Named Mid-Season All-American by Sporting News
- Title Hopes Dashed, Friars Fall 3-2 to UCLA in OT
- Friars Top UMass 85-65 in Saturday Matinee at The Dunk
- Dunn’s Double-Double Leads Friars Past Hurricanes, 76-62 in Brooklyn
- Road Woes Continue, Friars Fall 75-66 at Marquette
- Analyzing the Friars 9 Seed