NEW: Boston Bruins Name Don Sweeney General Manager
Thursday, May 21, 2015
As General Manager, Sweeney will be in charge of every aspect of the team's hockey operations.
”Don has excelled in every role he has been in with the Bruins organization and has a comprehensive understanding of every aspect of our hockey operations department. His commitment and drive to bring a championship caliber team to the Boston fans was evident every step of the way through this search process, and I am confident that his leadership of our hockey operations department will lead to success," said Cam Neely in a statement on the teams website.
This will be Don Sweeney's tenth season in the Bruins front office after he served as the Assistant General Manager for the past six seasons.
Sweeney joined the Bruins front office in 2006 as the Director of Player Development before becoming Director of Hockey Operations in 2007. Sweeney was promoted to Assistant General Manager in September of 2009.
Sweeney was named General Manager of the AHL's Providence Bruins in 2014.
Sweeney as a Player
Don Sweeney had a 16 year career in the NHL as a defenseman, 15 of which came with the Bruins. Sweeney is one of two defenseman in team history to play over 1,000 games and ranks third on the teams all-time games played list.
Sweeney retired from the NHL in 2003-04 after spending the year with the Dallas Stars.
- Bruins stun Leafs in Game Seven
- Leafs Dominate Bruins Early, Take Game 5
- Bob Lobel: Bruins- How Tweet It Is
- Providence Bruins Lose the Game But Win Big Fight
- Bruins win game 3 in double OT 2-1
- Bruins Grab Game 3
- Can The Bruins Win The Cup?
- Bruins Offense Ends Hibernation - Beat The Leafs 6-2
- 5 Weekend Musts: PBruins + More
- 4 Reasons Why The Bruins Will Win Game 7
- Providence Bruins Welcome RI Native and Former Friar Eric Baier
- Hawks Beat Bruins 4-3 in Triple OT
- Bruins, Blackhawks fight to finish in OT thriller
- Bruins Chara Drops Tampa’s Paquette
- Bruins Griffith Scores on Crazy No Look Between the Legs Shot
- Gronkowski Spikes Hockey Puck Prior to Bruins Game
- 10 Reasons Why We Need the Bruins and Celtics to Make the Playoffs
- NEW: Bruins Relieve GM Chiarelli of Duties
- Milan Lucic’s Handshake Antics After Bruins Lose Game 7 to Habs
- P-Bruins Fraser Lifts Boston Past Montreal In OT
- GoLocal Sports tackles Hernandez, Bruins and more
- Bruins-Red Wings Open Series Friday
- Bruins Players Roasted on Fallon’s Tonight Show
- Bruins and Canadiens To Open Series Thursday Night