Langevine’s 18 Rebounds, 12 Points Sparks #22 URI to 81-68 Win Over VCU
Saturday, February 03, 2018
Stan Robinson finds E.C. Matthews out of the first media timeout and Rhody reclaims the lead at 10-8 pic.twitter.com/E3EKsXIy7S— Rhody MBB (@RhodyMBB) February 3, 2018
URI Rams beat Virginia Commonwealth (VCU) 81-68 on Friday night.
The double-double is his second of the season.
The Rams have now won 14 straight games and improve to 19-3 overall and 11-0 in the A-10.
VCU falls to 14-9 and 6-4 in conference.
URI Pulls Away
With the game tied at 27 in the first half, URI went on a 9-0 run sparked by a layup from Stanford Robinson and capped off by a three from Jared Terrell to take a 36-27 lead with 4:35 left to play in the first half.
VCU would cut URI’s lead to three on several occasions and Rhode Island would take only a three-point lead, 41-38, into the break.
In the second half, the Rams built their lead to 11 points, 69-58, following a three from freshman Fatts Russell with 6:20 left to play in the game.
VCU did not get closer than seven points the rest of the way.
E.C. Matthews led URI with 18 points on 5 of 13 shooting from the field and 6 of 6 from the free throw line.
Russell added 11 points off the bench.
The Rams return to action on Friday, February 9 when they host Davidson at the Ryan Center.
Game time is set for 7 p.m.
Rhode Island goes to VCU and leaves with a 13-point victory. Rams are now 11-0 in Atlantic 10 play. Deepest back court in college basketball.— Jon Rothstein (@JonRothstein) February 3, 2018
Related Slideshow: URI Rams Basketball 2017-18 Projected Starting Lineup
E.C. Matthews - Redshirt Senior
E.C. Matthews returns for his redshirt senior season, now two years removed from ACL surgery. The Rams will need him to regain his form.
Matthews missed a couple of weeks during the preseason with knee tendinitis, but has since returned to practice and did play in URI's "secret scrimmage" against Harvard last week.
Prior to the start of this season, Matthews was named to the first preseason All-Atlantic 10 team during A-10 Media Day. He is also on the John Wooden Award Watch List.
Last season, Matthews averaged 15 points per game on 42% shooting from the field. In the A-10 Tournament, Matthews carried the Rams offense scoring 20, 19 and 19 points respectively in the three games to get the Rams the title.
Jared Terrell - Senior
Jared Terrell was named to second preseason All-Atlantic 10 team during A-10 Media Day.
He returns to the Rams after averaging 13 points, three rebounds and one steal per game in 2016-17.
Terrell will look to build off last season in which he shot 42 % from the field - the highest of his career.
Jeff Dowtin - Sophomore
Jeff Dowtin is coming off a freshman season in which he started the final 19 games, including both NCAA Tournament games.
He averaged six points and two assists in 22 minutes of action per game last season while also recording 17 steals on the year.
In URI's NCAA Tournament game against Creighton, Dowtin poured in a career-high 23 points on 6 of 8 shooting from the field.
Andre Berry - Senior
In two seasons with the Rams, Andre Berry has played in 30 games, but hasn't started any.
For his career, Berry has averaged 2.4 points and 1.6 rebounds in an averaged of six minutes per game.
Cyril Langevine - Sophomore
Cyril Langevine will make the start at one of the forward positions as the Rams will try to replace Hassan Martin, who they lost to graduation.
Last season, Langevine played in 35 games and started five games for URI averaging three point, five rebounds, and one block.
In URI's NCAA game against Oregon, Langevine had a near double-double with nine rebounds and nine points. He also had three steals.
- URI Basketballl 2015-16 Season Preview
- NEW: URI Basketball Picked to Finish 2nd in A-10
- URI Basketball Signs Head Coach Dan Hurley to Contract Extension
- The URI Basketball Schedule - What we Know, So Far
- URI Basketball Releases 2016-17 Non-Conference Schedule
- Former URI Basketball Star Odom Reportedly Found Unconscious in Las Vegas
- URI Basketball Gets Verbal Commit From Cyril Langevine
- NEW: URI Basketball Lands Indiana Transfer Robinson
- URI Basketball Alums, Biruta, Baron and Munford, Set for NBA Summer League Action
- URI Basketball to be Featured as Part of ESPN’s Tip-Off Marathon
- URI Basketball Gets Verbal Commitment From Michael Tertsea
- URI Basketball Ranked #24 in Preseason Coaches Poll
- Matthews Returns as #23 URI Basketball Hosts Dartmouth in Season Opener Friday
- URI Basketball Picked 1st in A-10 Preseason Poll
- URI Basketball Gets Commitment From 3-Star Guard Brendan Adams
- URI Basketball Edges Buffalo in Exhibition Game 80-72 in OT
- URI Basketball Set to Defend A-10 Championship in 2017-18
- Brown, URI Basketball Set to Renew Rivalry at Ryan Center
- URI Basketball Gets Commitment From 4-Star Forward Jermaine Harris
- NEW: Former URI Basketball Star Martin to Play NBA Summer League With Orlando
- Brown and URI Basketball Set to Renew Rivalry at Ryan Center
- URI Basketball Slips to #23 in National Poll - See Top 25
- URI Basketball Moves Up to #21 in National Poll - See Top 25
- 7 Things to Know About the Future of URI Basketball
- URI Basketball Moves Up to #22 in Country in Latest National Poll