EXCLUSIVE: Syracuse Guard Carter-Williams To Go Pro
Thursday, February 07, 2013
Carter-Williams, a 2011 McDonald’s All-American at St. Andrew’s, is averaging 12.2 points and a nation-best 8.5 assists per game for ninth-ranked Syracuse. Reached via phone last week, the Hamilton, Mass., native did not rule out playing in the NBA next season.
“I really have no idea. I want to play [in the NBA] eventually,” said Carter-Williams. “I don’t know if it’s going to be at the end of this season or next year or the year after that, so I have no idea what I’m doing. Right now I’m just really trying to focus on this season.”
St. Andrew’s coach Mike Hart said he hasn’t spoken with Carter-Williams about leaving school early. He expects they’ll have that conversation once Syracuse’s season ends.
“He’s actually ahead of schedule with graduation, so I think he’s considering the draft,” said Hart. “I really don’t get caught up in it because I want all my guys to graduate from college, but Michael has indicated that he will be a college graduate at some point. So, I think if it’s available for him to go in the draft, I think you’ll see him go in the draft.”
Hart said he’s been contacted by a slew of NBA teams, agents and media eager for his thoughts on Carter-Williams.
The coach is certain of one thing: Carter-Williams will shine at the next level.
“I think he’ll have an easier time in the NBA than he does in college, because they don’t play any defense in the NBA,” said Hart. “It’s basically an AAU-type game where it’s up and down the court and it’s showtime, and that’s where Michael’s going to thrive.”
According to sources, Carter-Williams will begin preparing for the NBA draft following the completion of Syracuse's season. This year's draft is considered weak and Carter-Williams could be a high pick.
- #1 Syracuse slides past Providence, 87-73
- EXCLUSIVE: URI Hires Hurley
- Apologize For Syracuse? No Way!
- Exclusive: Hurley Completes Coaching Staff At URI
- Big East Sadness: Dave Gavitt Dies As Syracuse & Pitt Look To ACC
- EXCLUSIVE: Ledo Tells GoLocalProv
- Big East, Syracuse reach agreement on exit
- Exclusive: Ledo Picks PC
- Syracuse 2nd half surge pushes past PC
- NEW: Agel Fired at Brown
- EXCLUSIVE: Ed Cooley PC’s Top Choice
- EXCLUSIVE: Cooley Picks UConn’s Andre LaFleur To Be Associate Head Coach
- GAME ON: St. Andrews Star Selected for McDonald’s All American Team
- Exclusive: Baron Out at URI