Bryant’s Marcel Pettway Named NEC Rookie of the Year
Wednesday, March 02, 2016
Pettway becomes only the second player in program history to garner the NEC Rookie of the Year award, after Alex Francis did it in 2011.
Pettway started the last 22 games for Bryant and finished his freshman season averaging 11.4 points per game, fourth best among league rookies. Pettway shot 59.7 percent from the field on the season and recorded 8 double-doubles, including a career high 26 points and 11 rebounds against Fairleigh Dickinson.
The 8 double-doubles are tied for most by a freshman in Bryant's division I history.
Pettway was named NEC Rookie of the Week five times.
The Bulldogs finished the regular sea on with a record of 8-23 overall and 5-13 in the NEC, beating LIU Brooklyn 88-83 in the final game.
Related Slideshow: Bryant Bulldogs 2015-16 Projected Starting Lineup
G - Hunter Ware
As a freshman, Hunter Ware was only rookie to play in all 31 games for the Bulldogs last season, playing a role as the first player off the bench.
Prior to last season, head coach Tim O'Shea told GoLocal "I think when his career is done, he will go down as one of the better guards to ever play here."
Ware averaged 5.6 points and 1.3 rebounds per game while knocking down 25 three-pointers during the season.
Ware averaged 16.9 minutes per game for Bryant.
Photo courtesy of Bryantbulldogs.com
G - Shane McLaughlin
Shane McLaughlin returns to the starting point guard position for Bryant after holding in all 31 games last season.
McLaughlin dished out 148 assists and ranked 54th in the country in assists per game with 4.7 while also having the third best assist to turnover ratio in the NEC at 1.78.
McLaughlin averaged 7.5 points and 3.8 rebounds per game while shooting 40% from the field last season.
F - Bosko Kostur
Redshirt 6'7" Sophomore, Bosko Kostur will be back in the starting lineup for the Bulldogs after starting the final 12 games of last season.
Kostur averaged 7.9 points and 3.1 rebounds per game on the year, but 12.4 points in the final 13 games helping Bryant to a tournament game win.
Kostur appeared in nine games as a freshman before he was medically redshirted.
F - Dan Garvin
6'6" junior, Dan Garvin is Bryant's leading returning scorer and rebounder averaging 11 points and eight rebounds per game last season. Garvin also registered 48 blocked shots and posted six double-doubles.
Garvin was named to the All-NEC Second team and started all 31 games and playing 31 minutes per game for the Bulldogs.
"When you have a guy like that, an upper classman who has played a lot of games, he shoulders more responsibility in games and at the end of them and I think that he knows that," said O'Shea.
F - Marcel Pettway
Marcel Pettway is a 6'8" freshman forward from North Providence who coach O'Shea said had solid practices.
Pettway is a 2015 graduate of the Hoosac School in New York after spending three seasons at Wilbraham & Monson Academy in Massachusetts.
Pettway played his freshman season at North Providence High School.
6th Man - Curtis Oakley
Curtis Oakley, 6'4," will bring senior leadership off the bench this season for Bryant as well as some offense.
Last season, Oakley came off the bench in 27 games, started in three of them, and averaged 3.1 points per game while shooting 38 percent from the floor.
Oakley averaged 10.2 minutes per game, down from the 11.9 minutes per game he averaged as a sophomore.
- NEW: Bryant Basketball Picked to Finish 3rd in NEC
- NEW: Bryant Holds on for 26-24 Win Over Saint Francis
- URI and Bryant Hit the Road, Brown Returns Home Red Hot
- URI & Bryant Golf Coaches Set to Enter RI Golf Hall of Fame
- Bryant Faces Wagner, Brown Faces Yale and URI hosts Villanova
- Bryant Hosts Saint Francis While Brown Looks for 4th Straight Win at Cornell
- NEW: Bryant Rolls to 38-17 Win Over Duquesne
- NEW: Bryant Falls 31-24 to Monmouth
- NEW: Bryant’s Burns Comes Out as First Openly Gay DI Basketball Coach
- Bryant and Brown Hit the Road While URI Looks For 1st Win
- URI, Bryant and Brown All Stay Home for Key Conference Games
- Bryant Rolls Wagner 40-10, Two Wins Away From NEC Title
- Bryant Basketball 2015-16 Season Preview
- 5 Takeaways From Bryant’s 62-60 Win Over Dartmouth
- #15 Providence Edges Bryant 74-67
- Bryant Falls Short at Wagner, 65-56
- NEW: Bryant Rallies From 20 Point Deficit, Beats Mount St. Mary’s in 2 OT
- McLaughlin Hits Game Winner as Bryant Edges St. Francis 61-59
- 5 Takeaways From Bryant’s 77-55 Loss to Army
- 5 Takeaways From Brown’s 76-68 Win Over Bryant
- NEW: Bryant University Revokes Bill Cosby’s Honorary Degree
- Bryant Eliminated From NEC Title Contention After Loss to Sacred Heart
- 5 Takeaways From Bryant’s 113-75 Loss to #5/4 Duke
- 5 Takeaways From Bryant’s 75-67 Loss to UNH
- Bryant Can’t Hold 17 Point Lead, Falls 71-65 to Saint Francis