Brown Football Wraps Up Non-Conference Play vs. Stetson on ESPN3
Saturday, October 07, 2017
The Bears are coming off a 24-21 win over Rhode Island last week in the Governor’s Cup, while Stetson is coming off a 27-24 loss at Valparaiso.
They start the season 0-5 for the first time in program history.
"We are looking for our team to go out and execute our schemes, our tempo offense, defense, special teams and all facets of the game," said Brown head coach Phil Estes.
Kick-off is set for 12:30 p.m. and can be seen on ESPN3.
Brown vs Stetson
Saturday’s game will mark only the second meeting all-time between the two teams.
The last meeting came in 2016 when Stetson scored 17 straight second-half points to beat Brown 31-21 at Brown Stadium.
The Bears offense has averaged 26.7 points and 359 total yards per game so far this season.
Junior quarterback Nick Duncan started the season under center, however last week against URI it was Thomas Linta who made the start and picked up the win.
In the game, Linta went 18 of 47 for 226 yards with a touchdown and an interception.
The Bears offense will look to ride the momentum that freshman running back Darius Daies built last week, going for 95 yards and two touchdowns on 16 carries.
The Brown defense has given up 29 points and 424 total yards per game this season.
They rank third in the country with 9.3 tackles for loss per game and four sacks per game.
The defense is led by senior defensive end Richard Jarvis leads the country by averaging 1.33 sacks per game, while his 1.8 tackles for loss per game is 11th in the country.
Related Slideshow: RI Teams To Win National Championships
PC Basketball 1960-61 NIT
The Providence College Friars won the National Invitation Tournament(NIT) in 1961, defeating St. Louis 62-59 at Madison Square Garden in New York.
At this time, the NIT was considered to be the National Championship of College Basketball.
The Friars were led by Vinny Ernst and James Hadnot that season.
PC Women's Cross Country
The 1995 Providence Friars won the programs first NCAA title. On the way, PC won their first BIG EAST and ECAC Championships.
Head Coach Ray Treacy was named NCAA Division I Women's National Coach of the Year, BIG EAST Men's and Women's Coach of the Year, Rhode Island Words Unlimited Women's Coach of the Year and NCAA District I Women's Cross Country Coach of the Year.
Brown Women's Crew '99
Brown women's crew won the first NCAA Division I Championship in Brown University History by defeating the University of Virginia by a three-second margin at lake Natoma in California.
Brown also won the Eastern Sprint Championship and the Ivy Championship, setting a new course record in the process.
Photo courtesy of Brownbears.com
Brown Women's Crew 2000
Brown repeated as national Champions in 2000, beating the University of Washington by 3.9 seconds four points.
In addition, Brown's varsity and second varsity won the Eastern Sprint Championship and the IVY league Championship.
Both teams went undefeated on the season.
URI Women's Sailing 2011
The URI Women won the programs first National Championship in small boat sailing in the 79 year history of the program and hoisted the Gerald C. Miller Memorial Trophy at the Sperry Top-Sider/Intercollegiate Sailing Association Women’s National Championship.
The Rams won the title as a club team and were one of two club teams competing for the title. The other club team was Western Washington, who finished 17.
Photo courtesy of uri.edu
PC Hockey 2015
The Providence College Friars won the 2015 NCAA Ice Hockey National Championship, defeating Boston University 4-3 at the TD Garden.
The Championship is the first in the program's history and only the third NCAA National Title in Providence College History.
PC goatender Jon Gillies was named Most Outstanding Player.
- Brown Football Opens Camp With High Expectations
- GoLocal’s Cordischi Adds Brown Football Role to Reporting Duties
- Brown Football Opens Camp With Many Holes To Fill
- Brown Football Schedule Released, Play URI for 100th Time
- Brown Football Alum Cruz Signs With the Chicago Bears
- NEW: Brown Football Previews Season–Two Games Under the Lights
- Brown Football Players Want to Keep Paterno’s Name on Award
- Brown Football Gets Ready for Prime Time
- Two Brown Football Players Join Basketball Team
- Brown Football Player Matt Shannon Donates Bone Marrow
- Brown Football Picked to Finish 5th in Ivy League
- Brown Football Set to Host Bryant in Season Opener
- Brown Football Coach Estes to Throw Out 1st Pitch at Fenway on Sunday When Red Sox Host Yankees
- Brown Football Coach Estes Joins LIVE Monday to Discuss Brown’s Game at Fenway
- Brown Football Hosts Bryant to Open 140th Season
- Brown Football Edges Bryant 28-23 in Season Opener
- Brown Football Visits Harvard to Open Ivy League Play
- Brown Football to Play Dartmouth at Fenway Park
- Brown Football Great Can’t Defend Paterno
- Brown Football Falls 31-13 to Columbia in Season Finale
- Brown Football Set to Open Season at Bryant
- Brown Football Falls 31-21 in First Ever Meeting With Stetson
- Brown Football Falls 21-14 to 1st Place Penn
- Brown Football Holds on to Beat Yale 27-22 at Brown Stadium
- Brown Football Beat by Harvard 45-28 in Ivy League Opener